Spilt water cooling liquid on my motherboard

sibleyj

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Hey guys, today i was installing my q9550 and my gtx 285 and accidentally spilt some of the non-corrosive water cooling liquid onto my motherboard. It was about 10ml or so, not much but some however. Strate away i cleaned it up as much as i could. i then tested the motherboard after i had cleaned everything up etc and the screen wouldnt come off standby, load anything etc. There was full power to all of the components but nothing coming up on the screen. What do you suggest i do? any help would be much appreciated.

Jake

sibleyj

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
yeh well iv put in in the airing cupboard, hoping it will be alrite in the next 2 days or so. Think it will be possible to send it back the the company and get a replacement through warranty, hoping they dont realise that its had liquid over it? i mean i cant tell myself and i new exactly where it spilt

Stiffex

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
If youve not had it for longer than the 28 days return period just RMA it and say its not posting; about 1 in 6 computer components are faulty thats just the nature of the game.

NickB

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
To be fair, this attitude is killing the business.

As a small PC company owner who takes a loss on all items returned fraudulently (due to shipping costs, payment charges and a trillion other overheads etc) and the shear volume of people who would rather blame their company rather than admit their fault, it is very disheartning to say the least.

No doubt when you get a replacement out of the good will of the company you will boast about it despite taking the food from their mouths. Saying "its a big company" so who cares just isn't true in what is such a competitive market where profit is measured in pence not pounds on each item.

If you aren't laughing then maybe you have a shred of decency left and you could back it up by taking the hit rather than passing it on.

Its a simple truth, not open for argument (trying to justify yourself). If you dont believe it then try starting your own business.

Sleep easy knowing you are better than the average dross we call humankind?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I don't know about that. When you RMA a brand new board or video card for legitimate reasons. You don't get a brand new one in return. Most of the time you get a recertified model. How fair is that? Yes it is still under warranty and if it dies they will replace it but it is not new and not always even the exact model you had before.