Lag spikes for internet.

scfitch

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Im getting massive lag spikes very frequently, not downloading anything, not running any large programs. nothing. its not network related because other computers are running perfectly, I have tried plugging my cable into the other router ports... same problem. Leading me to think my mother board is effed up. any comments would help.

Make sure you have the latest drivers. If you have other systems, make sure they are not hogging bandwidth.

Its latency more then actual speed.

I can say since we got a VOIP system with a new modem/voip system, if anyone does anything with lots of connections, games are just unplayable, funny since my speeds are 2x faster, but this new modem/voip just clogs right up when anyone on the network wants to use any apps that use lots of connections.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
+1^ on trying separate NIC
You could also hook your PC to one of the other systems you have and do a file transfer, if its smooth than it would kinda point to the router.

Are you sure your PC is malware-free? Having a small germ farm in your system is the easiest way to kill routers performance(i had a flatmate who would click and install pretty much everything that popped up on his screen, had to cut him off in the end)

I also have encountered similar issue on Win7 RC with the Atheros ethernet card thats integrated into Asus P5Q pro mobo. None of that happened with XP Pro or Vista Home so in my case i guess the drivers were at fault.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
MaDMagik,

Please remember that because Windows 7 RC is still in development, many manufactuers have yet to release fully compatibile drivers. However, most devices that were certified to work with Windows Vista should also be compatible with Windows 7 as the framework is very similar. To learn more, Microsoft does have a site with whitepapers, tutorials, walkthroughs and screen casts on all the “under the hood” features in Win 7. Check out the Springboard site for Windows 7 on TechNet here http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team