Sign in with
Your question

Asus Striker Extreme and 8 gig problem

Last response: in Memory
June 19, 2009 2:52:45 AM

I just upgraded my OS to 64 bit (Windows 7/ Ubuntu) and love seeing my full 4 gig registered. I was so thrilled I decided to go ahead and upgrade to 8 gigs.

So I took out my 4x 1 Gig OCZ memory and install 4x 2 Gig G. SKill stuff. Now my system can't boot... Ok so I did some tests.

With all 4 DIMMs my memcheck86 fails almot instantly finding thousands of Addressing errors.

The same test with 3 DIMMs ( 6 gigs and two tests total) shows that all DIMMs are working properly.

For laughed I decided to through in one of my old DIMMs. So now it is a 7 gig system with 3x 2 Gig and 1x 1 Gig. And it works!

Any of you memory gurus have an idea?
June 19, 2009 3:09:25 AM

churroloco said:
I just upgraded my OS to 64 bit (Windows 7/ Ubuntu) and love seeing my full 4 gig registered. I was so thrilled I decided to go ahead and upgrade to 8 gigs.

So I took out my 4x 1 Gig OCZ memory and install 4x 2 Gig G. SKill stuff. Now my system can't boot... Ok so I did some tests.

With all 4 DIMMs my memcheck86 fails almot instantly finding thousands of Addressing errors.

The same test with 3 DIMMs ( 6 gigs and two tests total) shows that all DIMMs are working properly.

For laughed I decided to through in one of my old DIMMs. So now it is a 7 gig system with 3x 2 Gig and 1x 1 Gig. And it works!

Any of you memory gurus have an idea?

Have you tried upping the voltage slightly in the BIOS? Some 680i motherboards have trouble giving stable voltage through all 4 DIMM slots.
June 19, 2009 4:44:52 AM

I did mess with the voltage a bit.

My new memory is rate between 2.0v - 2.1v.

Before I did anything the motherboard memory voltage was set to AUTO and it came out to be 1.87v. Upon bumping it up to 2.0v and 2.05v the system won't even get to the bios. I have to clear the CMOS just to get back to it.

*I just read that my old memory uses 2.2v so I think I'm going to manually bump it up to that and see how that goes.

Thanks for the reply!

(I can't settle for 7 gigs... although its a nice prime number. Things that aren't powers of two on computers freak me out.)
Related resources
June 19, 2009 5:19:50 AM

No luck. I adjusted the voltage for the memory all over the place and couldn't find anything that works. Very strange.
February 17, 2010 2:43:03 AM

a similar problem. Same situation ie instaled Win 7, traded 4 x 1 gig DIMMS for 4 x 2 gig. Everything was fine at first but now won't boot after sitting overnight. Take out 1 DIMM and it seems to work fine. In the BIOS which voltage do I try to adjust? I'm kind of a novice at fooling with the BIOS
!