Raid configuration

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Configuration
  • Servers
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 29, 2010 7:39:47 AM

hi all, i have a raid question as i do not have a whole lot of raid playtime., i am building a server dual xeons and using intel server board s5500bcr and 3 wd server class 500gb hdd's. i was planning on doing raid 5 configuration, but upon recieving mobo learned that a special addon "key" was required to do raid 5. so i am now rethinking my strategy. i am pretty well tappped out after purchasing everything. the intel boot cd will allow me to use raid 1 (or 0 but im going for redundancy here) but requires me to use all 3 drives. i am wondering if i would just be better off to install windows on disk 0 then proceed to do software raid on 1 & 2 within server 08. then just proceed to do routine backups to nas of both drive 0 and raided 1 &2. im thinking in theory this should be sound deal as if drive 0 fails i should be able to reinstall server on new replacement 0 drive and then recover from backup which should restore all setting of the raided drives. am i correct in my understanding? i welcome inputs from anyone with good raid experiance. thank you in advance

More about : raid configuration

a c 415 G Storage
July 29, 2010 11:15:48 AM

In data protection terms it makes sense to consider the OS drive to be easily replaceable. But the purpose of redundant RAID isn't for data protection (that's a job for backups) - what it really does for you is to eliminate downtime. This is especially true in a server environment. And if your OS drive isn't redundant then you still have a big potential for downtime.

My recommendation is that if you don't already have a backup strategy planned out then forget about RAID and put the extra drive(s) into external enclosures and use them for backups.

If you do have a backup strategy and uptime is important, then use a single RAID 1 volume with 2- or 3-disks, or buy one more disk and create two RAID-1 volumes with 2 disks each.

If uptime isn't that important, then 1 non-RAID OS drive and a RAID-1 data volume with two disks is probably a reasonable way to go.
m
l
!