Sign in with
Your question

Random hang or freeze on Xp

Last response: in Windows XP
June 30, 2011 1:36:09 PM

Hello i have search on this topic and found its very common thing to ask by various users,

in my case, i have compaq presario c700 with webcam running xp with kaspersky av perfectly.

problem is i have seen lots of system hang or application freeze during normal wORking
for example: i start google chrome and after some time i start windows media player after some time chrome freeze like hell. if its in minmize stage then it will not maximise or vice versa. same thing happen with other application.

but as i close down WMP then everything gets normal

this problem mostly happened with wmp but not particularly.

please help me out with this..

More about : random hang freeze

June 30, 2011 4:02:55 PM

is wmp using internet connection? what version wmp is it?

what is the memory size of the wmp when chrome starts freezing up? (use taskmanager to check)

what about CPU usage? when chrome isn't responding check with task manager what is using the most cpu.

what are your system specs?

i'm thinking it could be either a memory leak in some program or kaspersky is checking what wmp is doing all the time which eats up CPU time.

I've used chrome on xp as well and sometimes it just freezes up on its own (I don't have kaspersky or wmp running) I think some elements take too long to load or to respond, which causes the program to lock up as it is expecting a fast response but the network is giving it a slow response.
it's also possible that the antivirus is slowing it down as well.
June 30, 2011 4:28:10 PM

AntiZig said:
is wmp using internet connection? what version wmp is it?

what is the memory size of the wmp when chrome starts freezing up? (use taskmanager to check)

what about CPU usage? when chrome isn't responding check with task manager what is using the most cpu.

what are your system specs?

i'm thinking it could be either a memory leak in some program or kaspersky is checking what wmp is doing all the time which eats up CPU time.

I've used chrome on xp as well and sometimes it just freezes up on its own (I don't have kaspersky or wmp running) I think some elements take too long to load or to respond, which causes the program to lock up as it is expecting a fast response but the network is giving it a slow response.
it's also possible that the antivirus is slowing it down as well.

i hope this will help
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/z4kqB17AyfEIXMRf1gtQ...
Related resources
June 30, 2011 5:42:20 PM

alright, we know that you got an old computer, now you have to answer the questions I asked
June 30, 2011 6:07:36 PM

No wmp not connected to internet....

And I didn't notice unsual cpu or ran usage.

In task manager everything looks good.

previously I had wmp9 but now 11 but faced same problem.

I feel like my system can't work as multI tasker sometimes. This is very suck.
July 10, 2011 12:04:43 AM

OK after several attempt I think I sort out that kaspersky is the Main reason for system hangs up and freezing.

After uninstall it everything looks fine and smooth. Now I come to eset nod32 for security. I think new kaspersky is not good for old machine.
!