Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking my RAM

Last response: in Overclocking
July 23, 2010 12:52:50 AM

I have a Core 2 Duo system that I've overclocked for a long time. My experience mainly lies in OC'ing the CPU and the voltages, and I've just let the mobo take care of the RAM frequencies. I've noticed that a lot of people talk about timings when referring to DRAM modules, and I have no idea what these do. From what I've been able to dig up, my RAM, which is Patriot PDC22G6400LLK has timings of 4-4-4-12. I tried to set these in the Advanced Chipset settings in my IP35 Pro BIOS but I think since the RAM is OC it won't allow timings that tight.

tl;dr Can someone explain the timings on RAM for me and explain how and if I should adjust specific timings for my RAM?

Thanks!

More about : overclocking ram

a b } Memory
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 4:17:14 PM

Basically at 800mhz you can have CL4 (4-4-4-12) timings. If you have the RAM OCed, let's say it's at 1000mhz, then you would need to increase the timings to CL5 or even CL6. At any given CL#, there's a small band of frequencies that will work.
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2010 8:11:42 PM

jim_l8472 said:
Check this out - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/26

This post is made of delicious win! Thanks for this!

I've not had a chance to completely peruse this guide yet, but knowing that there are certain settings that will work at certain frequencies as Wolfram added, is it just trial and error until I find the correct timings? Also, from experience, does anyone find that higher frequencies or tighter timings reflect bigger performance gains?
m
l
July 25, 2010 5:01:56 AM

Good Luck. BTW, Google it instead. I found your answer faster than it took for you to post this question. You've already asked a dozen questions about video cards and games. Because of all the questions you've already asked, you should really just use a game console instead.
==================
monokinis
hooded rain coats
m
l
July 25, 2010 5:06:45 AM

veni12 said:
Good Luck. BTW, Google it instead. I found your answer faster than it took for you to post this question. You've already asked a dozen questions about video cards and games. Because of all the questions you've already asked, you should really just use a game console instead.
==================
monokinis
hooded rain coats

So because I want to learn more I should just quit and go blow my cash on outdated technology like an Xbox? Pass.

I ask questions here because people on this forum know what they are talking about. I don't want to just search google for something that I could screw up and damage my system.
m
l

Best solution

July 27, 2010 12:59:19 PM

I found out the most through googleing but this forums great for specific questions.

As for "screwing up" your system, I wouldn't worry too much unless your adjusting voltages.

If a timing is to low, my system will just automatically revert back to SPD settings, and this is my first indication if a timing will work or not. If it gets through the BIOS and into windows ok, then I will run memtest86 at the end just to make sure they're good. (sometimes you can get into windows with bad timings, but then you'll get random app crashes and BSOD's)

The only timing that "screws up" things for me is tRCD, if I set it too low, it can't boot into windows but it also disables my keyboard(even in BIOS) this is the only setting that if I screw up I have to clear the CMOS to get back. Not a big deal but it's just annoying cuz I have to open the case up.
August 1, 2010 9:15:33 AM

Best answer selected by ask7852.
m
l
!