Sign in with
Your question

Gigabit NAS

Last response: in Storage
July 29, 2010 7:46:36 AM

I'm looking for some cheap NAS that will run at my network speed (1Gb/s). I definitely dont want USB because that is way too slow, so ethernet seems the way to go. Are there any enclosures out there with gigabit ethernet?

More about : gigabit nas

a b G Storage
July 29, 2010 4:17:55 PM

Are you looking to just buy the NAS itself and put your drives in, or buy the NAS/external enclosure?

I have a Dlink DNS-323 and have been happy with it. I know they make a slightly cheaper model too.

I think there are a number of them available that are just 1 drive enclosures as well if that suits your needs - I think Buffalo, Thecus, and Synology make some nice ones.

Also, I think the Western Digital WorldBook is an external drive/NAS.
m
l
July 30, 2010 12:29:17 AM

I found the Dlink DNS-321 and that seems to be what I'm looking for. Some of the reviews are saying that they only get 8.5MB/s (limited by the drive inside?) over gigabit ethernet though. If it goes that slow I'm not even going to bother. What do you get for average transfer speeds?
m
l
a b G Storage
July 30, 2010 1:40:56 PM

I wish I could give you specific numbers, but have not had much reason to do the testing. I can try it soon, but it might be delayed since I am moving.
m
l
!