Sign in with
Your question

TWO HARD DRIVES MASTER AND SLAVE IS POSSIBLE OS MASTER WINDOWS XP SLAVE WINDOWS

Last response: in Storage
July 29, 2010 11:08:55 AM

Hello,
In a system with 2 HD and Windows XP on master HD,how to install Windows 98SE on slave hard drive?
Thanks
a b G Storage
July 29, 2010 4:29:02 PM

What format are the HDs (NTFS? FAT32)? 98 won't recognize the newer formats - I think it will do fat32 but not ntfs.

You probably need to install win 98 first, then XP, in order to be able to dual-boot, if that's your goal.
a b G Storage
July 29, 2010 5:09:31 PM

What type of hard drives? IDE or SATA? If it's SATA, forget it. If it's IDE, just make sure you install 98 first on the second/slave FAT32 formatted hard drive, and then install XP on the first/master hard drive. Then again, why do you even need Windows 98?
Related resources
a c 357 G Storage
July 29, 2010 6:39:37 PM

gtvr is quite correct - see this M$ article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

So if you do this you will have Win 98SE on one HDD installed first. That drive will be formatted with a FAT32 file system when Win 98SE is installed, and that OS will be able to access that drive.

When you later install Win XP on the other drive, it will be Formatted as an NTFS volume, and you will be able to create a dual-boot option so you can select which OS at each boot time. Win XP WILL be able to access BOTH drives because it has support for both File Systems. However, Win 98SE will NOT be able to access data on the other drive because it does NOT know NTFS.
a b G Storage
July 30, 2010 12:28:13 PM

The other thing to consider is running 98 under a VM. Take a look at either VMware player, or MS virtual PC.
July 31, 2010 3:21:25 PM

gtvr said:
What format are the HDs (NTFS? FAT32)? 98 won't recognize the newer formats - I think it will do fat32 but not ntfs.

You probably need to install win 98 first, then XP, in order to be able to dual-boot, if that's your goal.

Thanks a lot,
I knew all that. On my machine 2HDs as master (NTFS) XP pro runs nicely
and recognises slave HD (FAT 32).The aim is to use slave HD for WIN 98SE
under dual boot ( choice given by MB) in order to access to available programmes not accessible to XP.
The only logical solution then is to install 98SE on the slave after modifying it
by jumper setting as master, install the OS then when done, come back again to master XP, slave 98SE and dual boot through MB.
Unfortunately installation of 98SE( boot disk and installation CD) was unsuccessful until now I don't see why. After FDISK and FORMAT installation starts from CD but never goes to the end.
To end with Win 98SE CD was used at least 3 times for successful installation in the past.
That's my problem. Thanks again for advice.
July 31, 2010 3:28:50 PM

Paperdoc said:
gtvr is quite correct - see this M$ article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

So if you do this you will have Win 98SE on one HDD installed first. That drive will be formatted with a FAT32 file system when Win 98SE is installed, and that OS will be able to access that drive.

When you later install Win XP on the other drive, it will be Formatted as an NTFS volume, and you will be able to create a dual-boot option so you can select which OS at each boot time. Win XP WILL be able to access BOTH drives because it has support for both File Systems. However, Win 98SE will NOT be able to access data on the other drive because it does NOT know NTFS.

Thanks a lot,
under dual boot ( choice given by MB) in order to access to available programmes not accessible to XP.
The only logical solution then is to install 98SE on the slave after modifying it
by jumper setting as master, install the OS then when done, come back again to master XP, slave 98SE and dual boot through MB.
Unfortunately installation of 98SE( boot disk and installation CD) was unsuccessful until now I don't see why. After FDISK and FORMAT installation starts from CD but never goes to the end.
To end with Win 98SE CD was used at least 3 times for successful installation in the past.
July 31, 2010 3:35:40 PM

runswindows95 said:
What type of hard drives? IDE or SATA? If it's SATA, forget it. If it's IDE, just make sure you install 98 first on the second/slave FAT32 formatted hard drive, and then install XP on the first/master hard drive. Then again, why do you even need Windows 98?

Thanks a lot,

PS IDE DRIVES
a b G Storage
July 31, 2010 7:47:39 PM

what is the size of the drive that you want to install 98 on?

does 98 have drivers for all of the hardware in your machine?

again, have you considered running it under a VM?
!