Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge OCing Limited!!!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 2:32:02 AM

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/07/22/intel-...

Hopefully this is not true. If this is true, I can see AMD taking the crown back in the OCing world if Bulldozer works well.

Sorry if this has already been posted
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 3:09:38 AM

Shadow703793 said:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/07/22/intel-...

Hopefully this is not true. If this is true, I can see AMD taking the crown back in the OCing world if Bulldozer works well.

Sorry if this has already been posted

Quote:
Hopefully this is not true.

yea, but looks pretty legit to me :whistle: 

if not that website will be under fire for many years to come :lol: 
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 3:39:48 AM

I'm wondering why Intel felt this was a good idea. Why is a single clock driving EVERYTHING better then a few separate clocks? They must have felt this was a good idea for some reason, and I'd like to know what it is.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 6:07:45 AM

^ So that they can charge more for the K versions which overclockers would want, and overclocking seems to be becoming more and more popular, while OEMs can just stick with the non K versions. Essentially Intel's trying to make money out of overclocking.

Also, it would make LGA 1155 more mainstream, i.e., it wouldn't really have a chance of competing against the LGA 2011 processors, unlike the i7 860 and i7 920, where due to the higher TB, the i7 860 wins in most single and dual threaded applications. LGA 2011 would be more flagship, since it says nothing about limiting LGA 2011 processor overclocks, and the price & performance difference between the two platforms would be more noticeable.

Bulldozer needs to kick SB's ass. Seriously, or otherwise at least manage to compete with it.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 7:23:23 AM

That may be the real reason, but whats the stated reason? I doubt they would actually come out and say this is way. Did Intel give a good technical reason for this?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 8:28:18 AM

I doubt it. Now they're just getting too greedy.
July 23, 2010 8:49:48 AM

Oh, no, please, no...
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2010 12:44:06 PM

Seems to be intentional crippling of Sandy Bridge for the mainstream market.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 3:09:26 PM

^Yeah, looks like it. I think Intel felt cheated when their "low end" E5200's could be OCed to rival the E8xxx (same case with LGA1366 vs LGA1156 CPUs) quite easily hence now they want to split up the two.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 3:49:03 PM

Wow.... Ouch... Well, I was thinking about making my next build as an Intel build, (next year) but seeing as this is the news for Sandy Bridge OCing, better to just wait 'till the Bulldozer is a sucess!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 10:00:25 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Yeah, looks like it. I think Intel felt cheated when their "low end" E5200's could be OCed to rival the E8xxx (same case with LGA1366 vs LGA1156 CPUs) quite easily hence now they want to split up the two.

well I don't think they should feel "cheated" since AMD does more or less the same thing and if anything it helped sales. IDK but IMO this is going to hurt Intel more than anything, its limiting the most important feature of a CPU, now the question is how much will one of these CPU's cost and if it's worth the money or not.
July 23, 2010 10:26:43 PM

I think Intel is trying to get rid of all of their market except OEMs. This will most certainly piss off most of their fanboy's. I cant stand multi billion dollar companies trying their best to rip off people even more. As if BILLIONS of $$$$ a year in PROFIT isnt enough. Banks raising and making new fees while still making tons of money.

The problem with this recession is, WE the people of the United States dont make enough money to both eat out and buy entertainment (movies, eletronics, luxury items, ETC) WHILE paying bills and all the fees and new fees being made. My ******* phone service provider has a $2 fee to make A PAYMENT over the phone.

Sorry thats my rant on how corrupt and greedy the world is becoming.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 2:01:48 AM

chaosgs said:
I think Intel is trying to get rid of all of their market except OEMs. This will most certainly piss off most of their fanboy's. I cant stand multi billion dollar companies trying their best to rip off people even more. As if BILLIONS of $$$$ a year in PROFIT isnt enough. Banks raising and making new fees while still making tons of money.

The problem with this recession is, WE the people of the United States dont make enough money to both eat out and buy entertainment (movies, eletronics, luxury items, ETC) WHILE paying bills and all the fees and new fees being made. My ******* phone service provider has a $2 fee to make A PAYMENT over the phone.

Sorry thats my rant on how corrupt and greedy the world is becoming.

The U.S. citizens have the cheapest PC parts in the world while having the highest GDP as well at the same time and you are still complaining!

Come and live in Australia for a year or two, then you will be willing to pay for any PC parts without a 2nd thought when you go back to the U.S..

Please sell your products at least 40% higher than the current US price to the damned rich American and give peoples from the rest of the world a break, Intel(AMD, ASUS, Gigabyte, nVidia...etc.). :p 
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2010 2:09:19 AM

@ Original topic:
It is an epic fail for AMD being unable to match the performs of i7 which was released approximately 1.5 years ago even with a hex.

If this is true, AMD should really take the chance to catch up!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2010 4:04:40 AM

iqvl said:
Come and live in Australia for a year or two, then you will be willing to pay for any PC parts without a 2nd thought when you go back to the U.S..

Spare a thought for our kiwi brothers across the pond :) 

@topic: Good thing I've lost interest in overclocking. I wouldn't like the option removed though.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2010 5:03:41 AM

randomizer said:
Spare a thought for our kiwi brothers across the pond :) 

@topic: Good thing I've lost interest in overclocking. I wouldn't like the option removed though.

Yes. Seriously. SSDs and memory prices are bit too inflated here, nVidia cards (more than ATi) and Intel (more than AMD) CPUs aren't exactly cheap either. :( 

With Vodafone, it costs $2/MB for phone downloads or something...
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
July 25, 2010 5:09:15 PM

I guess all good things come to an end.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2010 9:54:03 AM

jsc said:
I guess all good things come to an end.

Hopefully LGA 2011 will still have overclocking options.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2010 10:25:50 AM

There's no proof yet that any SB platform will be limited. Intel is still adamant that it won't be, they're just saying it will be different (and "fun" so take that as you want).
July 26, 2010 2:16:55 PM

Intel taking off the overclocking option means that their value-for-money ratio is going to become slightly worse than the original P1 chip, or any of their Extreme Edition CPUs. Only the overclockability of those CPUs makes them worth the price.

I sincerely hope that this is just FUD that's being spread. Seriously.
!