BSOD on multiple OS's Help!

cfrussin

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I built a system using a new Asus P5Q Deluxe, OCZ ddr2 ram (4meg), dual MSI 8600GTS video and an Intel E6750 processor. I've built all of my own computers over the last 15 years and have never had a problem. In fact, I've only seen one Blue Screen of Death in over 20 systems. I've been using Vista Ultimate. I'm not a gamer. But I work from home and have multiple programs open all the time. Excel 2007, Quickbooks 08, Outlook, Firefox, etc. spread across 3 Dell 2408 monitors. So I've been getting multiple BSOD's ever since I built this computer. I thought they went away when I used Asus's power management and turned the performance down. But it's back. So I figured what the hey and loaded Windows 7. Love it. Same problem. BSOD. Randomly. Then I loaded Windows XP pro. Same thing. I'm using a good heatsink, my power supply is a good one. I always buy the highest rated/most bought parts from New Egg. Anyone have any idea? Could it be my CPU. Why I ask is before this system, I had put the processor in an ABIT board and couldn't load the OS no matter what I tried. Turned out, not understanding the new pin system, I had bent a couple of pins in the CPU socket. So I ditched the ABIT and bought the Asus. Funny though, under a jewelers loupe, I straightened the pins on the Abit, threw in a low end Core 2 and it's been humming away 24/7 as a WHS for 3 months now without a problem. So did I short my CPU? How do I tell.

david8115

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Try running prime95 and/or memtest86 for memory errors. I had BSOD, and eventually both programs found a problem on 1 stick of ram i had

SimonSplat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Download a free too called MemTest86 (www.memtest86.com) which I think you can create a bootable CD with (the download site is blocked here at work but I am sure it gives you an ISO to burn).

Boot to it, Run that... let it run through several cycles.

I have used it dozens of times to identify if any memory is faulty.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
It is also possible that you memory voltage is incorrect and causing this.
Check the specs. for your memory. Often it is on the side of the stick.
Then go into the bios and make sure that it is set to that.

Alot of the memory out there requires 2.0 or 2.1V (OCZ is defintly one of them) and many MBs default to 1.8V.

Im not sure about your setup but it is worth checking.

cfrussin

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I let the board default everything. It requires you to actually type in a value. It doesn't give you choices. I checked G.Skill's website and it said 1.8-2.0 So I set it for 2.0 We'll see if that helps. I just thought someone would read what I had written about accidentally installing the CPU in another board and bending the pins and being unable to get it to load the OS, and blame that. Let's see if the voltage change helps. Thanks!

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Just some thing I noticed in your first post you mention OCZ memory and in the second you say that you went to Gskill.
The results will be the same, but just something I noticed.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
What is the BSOD message.
If it goes by too fast do this.
Start|right click computer|properties|advanced system settings|advanced|system restore|settings| uncheck automatic restart.
This will stop the computer on a BSOD so you can write down the code it will give.

Ps I am on XP right now. The terms used above may be slightly different as I cant check right now but you will find it.

cfrussin

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I've done that. Next time it shows up, I'll post. Right now it's been running good for a day. But again, whenever it goes into sleep mode and I wake it up, the CMOS? resets. I have to press F2 to reset default values. Once windows loads, it looks just as I left it before it went to sleep but the date is now 2002. Could it be a bad battery on my board?