irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I'm about to get a Cooler Master 690 case, I know it has potential for awesome air flow, so I'd like to make the most of it.

What are the best (120mm) case fans to get in terms of price, performance, and noise?

I don't mind a little sound, but I'd rather not hear them over my GPU and CPU heatsink at idle.

Is it worth shelling out $15 for a single fan? or can I get a similar quality one for a few bucks?

Many thanks :)

The CoolerMaster 690 case comes with three 120mm case fans - one at the bottom front, one on the side panel, and one at the top rear. Do you want to replace the stock case fans? Do you have something else in mind.

jamoramaJAM

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009

I have the Cooler Master 690. It has SEVEN 120mm fan slots (3 are capable of 140mm). I used two cheap 120mm rosewill blue led fans at the top of the case. Looks tight as hell and moves a good amount of air for being five bucks at newegg.

jamoramaJAM

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009

In truth, you really don't need that much air flowing through it. Like I said, I put two blue led fans at the top of the case, but really, mainly for looks... The three fans will be enough to move air for good overclocking conditions...

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks for the replies.
I would like to add fans to the case though, so I was wondering what fans would provide good airflow in a quiet manner, without being ridiculously priced.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i have 4 Scythe Slipstream fans, move tons of air and are relatively quiet. Ive found that the heatsink that it is mounted on makes the air whistle, but just the straight fan running it is really quiet. Yeah, they are like $9, so not super cheap, but I like them. Haven't had any go bad, but one broke when I stepped on it (my foot was in quite the bit of pain!). And I wouldn't even really call it broke since it just cracked one of the support arms.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Here and Here are a couple good reviews on a lot of popular fans well worth the read.

All Yate loon fans are not the same, Petras has the best quality of Yate loons you can find (some others may but you are guaranteed that Petras does) if you would go for the Yates.

Personally I don't like the sleeve bearings (too short of life span specially when mounted horizontally) and would go with the S-Flex and eat the cost on the original purchase (they will on average last three to four times as long) instead of replacing the sleeve bearing fans every year or two.