akore

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I need to figure out a cooling system for my computer.
Case RC690
PS Corsair 620HX
e8400
Asus P5Q-Pro
Asus EAH4850
4gb mushkin

Temps are, e8400 idle 40C and max around 70C. EAH4850 idles at 64C and jumps to 80C

These are about twice of what they should be, and nothing is overclocked.
I was thinking about getting a fan contoller, but have absolutely zero knowledge about connections required etc and because my PSU is modular how that affects things. I assume the best approach would be to change the case fans, etc, and then if the temps are still high change CPU cooler and VGA cooler. But again, I have no idea how to do this or even change the speed of the fans for anything. Help, please :(
Nothing is dusty, i just cleaned it out. What should I do? I dont want pieces of crap but I dont need the highest quality.

Thank you

-Chris

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Your case comes with a 120mm rear cooling fan. Is it plugged in to anything?
If you are using the stock Intel cooler, it will not even try to keep things cool until you are not happy with the temps. This keeps the noise down. An aftermarket cooler with a bigger PWM fan can easily drop idle temps to the low 30s, and load temps w/o overclocking to no more than 50. The 4850 cards run hot. They always will. Yours is hotter than I would like as well.

akore

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Yea, all the fans are plugged in. I've got the side fan blowing out, the front one in, and the back one out. Ive been reading around and I think Ill replace the side fan, and get a different cpu screw-on type heatsink. Any suggestions? Main thing is I would really like to be able to control the temps, and I dont know how to do that with my motherboard. What is PWM?