Garbled screen

kheka

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
hi all,
i am at my wit's end. A few days ago my pc screen suddenly became garbled.with great difficulty i managed to restore it (windows restore) and my pc ran fine for a few hours. while i was using it, it became garbled again. not knowing what to do i reinstalled windows. it was fine for a while and then the screen became garbled again. the screen is fine when i run it on safe mode but as soon as i try to run it normally, my screen becomes garbled and it freezes and restarts on its own thus having me to conclude my video card is fine (based on the logic that if the video card was faulty it wont run even in safe mode). to check if everything was ok in the BIOS i tried to access it but as soon as i hit the delete button to try to access the BIOS my screen goes blank and a message appears "Out of Sync" now i dont know what to do. please help as im not a computer expert.
my pc configuration is
windows xp
core 2 duo processor
1 gig of ram
msi motherboard (i dont know the model no or the BIOS version)
NVidia gt 8400,
please help me as i have simply run out of ideas. Thanks all.

It sounds like your monitor is failing, but it still just might be the video card. When you boot into safe mode the video card is being used in a very generic way which does not tax it at all, but when you boot up with the proper driver it does a LOT more work.

You should try another monitor first, and if it happens again it is likely the video card.

TRENDING THREADS