Long story short, I'm checking CPUZ and it's reporting my speed at:
2833.0-3 mhz. NEVER moves.

Put it under load. Same thing.

Core speed= 2833.1
Mult = 8.5
Bus 333.3 mhz
Rated FSB 1333.3 mhz

This is a E8400 Wolfsdale Core voltage is at 1.264

I didn't touch a thing in the bios. Just put it in, setup the raid and installed the OS.

Also - dunno if this is appropriate to tag this here vs the sound area, but the onboard sound is stuttering in game. Dunno if related. Drivers all appear to be up to date. But odd to work with (3 areas to adjust mic volume etc) but seems ok.

The game I checked this in isn't very CPU intensive. Someone on a lesser system stated the custom sound packs were making them warp and sound to stutter. I used to use an Audigy 2 ZS but was trying to avoid having to deal with Creative anymore..bought this board instead of the 15 cheaper one for this purpose.
Any known issues? Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R with the Realtek ALC889a chipset.

Thanks.

curve

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
For sure - what are you expecting to see move.

The clock speed of the cpu won't change (speed step excepting) under load.

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Dunno why it was set to 8 is what I was getting at. Didn't know if I was missing something.

Strange though, NO flucuation in speed. Now that I have it set to 9x it flucuates between 2ghz and 3ghz and the volts change alot too. I read somewhere about removing this feature but not sure about the volt flucuatations. Something about this chip supposedly but not sure if it's a good thing or bad..dunno.

Still wondering why Gigabyte would have this set to 8x. I can't remember the last board that required me to set the timings or mhz etc..

jamoramaJAM

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
It has to do with Intel and Gigabyte's Speedstep and something else. It changes your voltage and speed to lessen heat and power usage during times when your computer does not have to be at 100% usage. Sometimes, my gigabyte board does it (and switches to a 6x speed). It doesn't harm the cpu, and actually may let the cpu last longer... You can turn it off (didn't seem to fit very well with applications that use cpu in "spurts"...), like I did with my e8400 so it stayed at 4ghz...