shadowillusion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Look at the picture... 81 C (idle, no OC, stock cooler) with i5-750 + Gigabyte H55-USB3...

idle.jpg

For more details, you can see the CPU-Z log in report.zip in here...

My question: Is it normal? I heard that TCase with i5-750 is 72.7 C

EDIT: Ignore the post quoted above... Look at my post #8 below!

Hi guys,
after replacing the motherboard and CPU, now my cpu temp is 40C at idle... But when I stress it to 100% load using Prime95 (4 threads active) the temp is going to 98C in 5 minutes... I read somewhere that it should be no more than 50C at full load (no OC, stock cooler)

This time, I already make sure that the CPU is well-seated... Before this, only a tiny-part of the CPU gets a pasta from the cooling fan because it doesn't stick well... Now almost all cpu plate gets a pasta which proves that it is well seated...

Then my suspection comes to a fan speed... I set the fan speed at max in BIOS and it says 2500RPM... Maybe already normal?

So if the fan speed and CPU seating is not the problem, I wondering why my CPU temp is going to 98C? I even only have Stock cooler, no OC, 6-fan case... I already have the CPU and motherboard replaced once by the technician...

Solution
Yes that's definitely too high. You'll have to try reinstalling the heat sink. Even the stock one works better than that. My guess is, you didn't push the push-pins in far enough, so it's a little loose. That's the biggest downfall of push-pins, they're a bitch to get right.
Yes that's definitely too high. You'll have to try reinstalling the heat sink. Even the stock one works better than that. My guess is, you didn't push the push-pins in far enough, so it's a little loose. That's the biggest downfall of push-pins, they're a bitch to get right.

Solution

shadowillusion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Oh ****! Definitely not right... I run Prime Stress-CPU test (it only do 2 threads which means 50-55% CPU usage) and in 5 sec the temp rise to 98 C before I stop it in panic!

I'm going to turn off my computer right now and return it tomorrow... Too risky... Hope tomorrow they're not in holiday...

@Wolfram23, I'm afraid to reinstalling the heat sink alone... Will ask them tomorrow :(

Thanks for your helps :)

Ouch! Yes, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then bring it back and get the shop to redo it (better be free!). However, you might consider just opening the case and pushing down on all the pins, they should click in if any aren't inserted right. I hear it can take a fair bit of pressure.

shadowillusion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I'm now replying from my phone.. I'm being afraid to turn on my cpu :D

Ok I got my screwdrivers, took the motherboard out from the case and then examined the back sides..

All 4 white pins in backside is in a 'rose' state properly.. pushing and rotating 4 black frontside screw doesn't give any further click.. It's as stiff as hardened !*@#$

I remembered the technician planted it with 4 loud click yesterday when I bought this new rig..

Maybe I should ask a replacement warranty for cpu+motherboard? Since it had reached 99C and could be damaged.. (should be much more because I play Crysis for 3 hours this morning and the fan is noisy, I thought it was normal at that morning.. How silly me)

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it :)

shadowillusion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
my doubts cleared. the technician came to my house and brings other gigabyte h55-usb3..

that other mobo still wont stick tightly with the i5. we can tell that by looking at the cpu plate. not all pastas applied to the plate.

he said that the cpu fan seems to be defected. maybe happens through shipping process. that's why my i5 box appears a little bad-shaped around the edge :(

they send me a new cpu and even new motherboard (they know that the motherboard is fine) thanks guys!

shadowillusion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Hi guys,
after replacing the motherboard and CPU, now my cpu temp is 40C at idle... But when I stress it to 100% load using Prime95 (4 threads active) the temp is going to 98C in 5 minutes... I read somewhere that it should be no more than 50C at full load (no OC, stock cooler)

This time, I already make sure that the CPU is well-seated... Before this, only a tiny-part of the CPU gets a pasta from the cooling fan because it doesn't stick well... Now almost all cpu plate gets a pasta which proves that it is well seated...

So my suspection comes to a fan speed... I set the fan speed at max in BIOS and it says 2500RPM... Maybe already normal?

o if the fan speed and CPU seating is not the problem, I wondering why my CPU temp is going to 98C? I even only have Stock cooler, no OC, 6-fan case... I already have the CPU and motherboard replaced once by the technician...