Intel X25-M 160GB vs OCZ Vertex 2 120GB? Or something else..

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hello,

I'm looking for an SSD to add to my system. Been reading reviews and trying to figure out what to buy.

Currently I'm mostly in doubt whether to buy the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB or the Intel X25-M 160GB. I intend installing Win7, applications and some games and then use my old samsung 1TB drive as storage

Which of these two drives would you recommend and why? Or is there a third option I should consider?

It seems like the Vertex2 is faster than the X25-M, but at the cost of capacity. Not sure if the increased speed is noticeable enough to sacrifice some capacity. The price is about the same for me.

Any help with the decision is appreciated :)

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
It depends on what you'd prefer, but for the most part, yeah the Vertex is faster. Technically, I think you'd want the lowest possible random access for gaming. The Intel shines here... but Generally, I don't think you'd notice a difference.

The Vertex 2's reads and especially writes top the X25-M though.

EDIT: As far as a 3rd option to consider, look into the Crucial C300's maybe. The few benches I saw were fast as hell, but somewhat inconsistent.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I have read quite some negative stuff about the crucial, so I'm a bit reluctant on that one as it seems like they have had/are having problems with firmware etc.. that's why I kinda removed it from my list :)

I'm actually getting more in doubt now wether I should hold on for the next generation of Intel drives.. I'm not too sure how much to expect though - would you think it's a bad move to wait?

Currently I am sitting with a regular HDD and it's really tempting to go ahead and buy an SSD now :)

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

I'm waiting for the G3's as well... I have an 80GB G2, and it's awesome, but it's not large enough for all my games. I'd say it's worth the wait if you already have an SSD, but if you don't, I'm not so sure it's worth the wait. You really won't FEEL a difference between the G2 and G3, and new products are always coming out. So if you want an SSD, I'd say go for it. They rule.