Best MB for video editing

I am going to build a mid-tower desktop for video editing and want to keep the price under $1K. I already have monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, external HDD. I am leaning toward the P5Q3, because of the DDR3 RAM, but I'm not sure about the GPU. It states it is Crossfire ready, but I only plan to use 1 card and I prefer nVIDIA. Maybe I need to choose a different MB or maybe the Radeon 4870 will do me OK. Any Ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about best video editing
  1. Hi larrys640, welcome!

I think when considering a video editing machine, you should consider the following (in this particular order):

Support for multiple high-speed hard disks
    Read/write speed of hard disks
    Amount of RAM
    Ability of video card(s) to drive multiple displays.

In other words, your first priority should be your video cards, but on getting a mobo that can support high-speed HDs. That's what you'll need first for a responsive video editing experience. Hope this helps!
  2. A 4870 is for gaming. You'll be working mostly in 2D. You can always try a motherboard with integrated graphics like a G41/45 chipset and add the card later if you need to.

What CPU do you plan to use?
  3. Sorry it took so long to reply. I decided on a P6T with I7-920, 12 Gig of Corsair DDR3-1333, NVIDIA 260 GTX Core 216, Zalman 9500, 2x WD 750 GB and 1x WD 1TB
    Black Edition, 2x Plextor DVD writers, Corsair 750 Watt PSU. It is doing just fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Video Editing External Hard Drive Motherboards