Sign in with
Your question

Water cooling question

Last response: in Overclocking
July 23, 2010 4:30:45 PM

Hi guys,
Im sorry if these threads keeps popping up, but I wasnt able to find any like it. I'm thinking absout venturing into the world of water cooling, and have done a fair bit of research on the topic, but one theres just one area that I'm clueless with; cooling the motherboard.

I have seen dozens of liquid cooled northbridges and southbridges, and mosfets with extra passive cooling. This is the area of liquid cooling which is a big put off for me. Is it necessary to water cool your motherboard? I would just like to do one water cooling loop with my cpu (i7 920) and gpu (gtx 285). Would it be okay to leave the stock cooling on my motherboard(AsusP6T)?

Also theyre housed in an Antec 1200, is this case big enough for all the cooling components or will I need to mod the case/ use an extermal rad? Also, with water cooling, will it no longer be necessary to use al the extra case fans? (ie: can I remove all the case fans?)

More about : water cooling question

a c 324 K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 6:15:21 PM

You are likely just fine leaving the installed MB cooling in place unless you are going to be doing some insane overclocking. I would suggest good airflow over the board as the only thing you should do, which should be good with your Antec 1200.

You will still need case fans, in fact, more so now than with air cooling, simply because you need to remove the heat not being moved by the usual suspects...i.e. CPU cooler and VGA coolers. Leave the usual case fans, or upgrade with better CFM/quieter options. You will also need to add the fans for your radiators.

I have never used an Antec 1200, but from what I know, they are decent size. However, you'll need to read a lot of information on how much/how many radiators you will need for that loop. Off the top of my head, you'll need at least 2 2x120 rads to cool that CPU and GPU. Take this into consideration with how you'll mount them.
July 23, 2010 9:36:41 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You are likely just fine leaving the installed MB cooling in place unless you are going to be doing some insane overclocking. I would suggest good airflow over the board as the only thing you should do, which should be good with your Antec 1200.

You will still need case fans, in fact, more so now than with air cooling, simply because you need to remove the heat not being moved by the usual suspects...i.e. CPU cooler and VGA coolers. Leave the usual case fans, or upgrade with better CFM/quieter options. You will also need to add the fans for your radiators.

I have never used an Antec 1200, but from what I know, they are decent size. However, you'll need to read a lot of information on how much/how many radiators you will need for that loop. Off the top of my head, you'll need at least 2 2x120 rads to cool that CPU and GPU. Take this into consideration with how you'll mount them.

Hmm, I've got a hell of a lot of reading up to do now, thanks for the advice :) 
!