Sign in with
Your question

NAS or shared for my use??

Last response: in Storage
July 29, 2010 6:23:12 PM

Try to keep this short. I own a video production company. I want a central "storage" place to capture video to and work on video files from 2 machines. My main goal is to be able to capture to storage with machine #1 while I edit on another project with machine #2.....and to not have to transfer files from 1 machine to another when it is time to edit them like I have to do now.
I have an old HP XW 8200 workstation that I was thinking of adding 4 1.5T drives to, striping them into 2 sets of 3T and connecting to my gigabit network. Then capture to 1 raid while editing on the 2nd raid. The HP would do nothing other than house the drives.
Do I NEED something like Freenas for this.....or can I get away with file sharing within windows. I would not be working on the same files at the same time with both machines. I guess I really don't understand what something like freenas does for me.

Thanks
Mark

ps...the HP box is XP Pro...the other 2 are Win 7 Home Premium. I can upgrade the XP box if I have to.....

More about : nas shared

a b G Storage
July 29, 2010 9:03:56 PM

As long as the HP rig was dedicated just for storage, I think that I'd go with that option, and essentially run a storage server with it.

You don't need FreeNAS by any means; there are numerous alternatives. FreeBSD and Linux are great options for servers type applications, but Windows will also work. It's entirely up to you.

FreeNAS is simply a modified version of FreeBSD that is intended for use on NAS's, that's about it. :) 

Something to consider is that Gigabit networks have a maximum theoretical throughput of 125MB/s, but it's generally lower than that. 100MB/s is achievable if you plan accordingly. If you need faster speeds than this, you should consider upgrading your network, or looking into something like Link Aggregation.

Good luck.
m
l
July 31, 2010 2:00:58 AM

Thanks Pyro. I was aware of other options....just wasn't sure of the need for me to use them....not knowing exactly what they(freenas....freebsd...etc) do exactly. My switch is not managed....but I figured I could start with it....if I have problems I can always upgrade to a managed one and experiment with link aggregation and what not.

Thanks
Mark

Pyroflea said:
As long as the HP rig was dedicated just for storage, I think that I'd go with that option, and essentially run a storage server with it.

You don't need FreeNAS by any means; there are numerous alternatives. FreeBSD and Linux are great options for servers type applications, but Windows will also work. It's entirely up to you.

FreeNAS is simply a modified version of FreeBSD that is intended for use on NAS's, that's about it. :) 

Something to consider is that Gigabit networks have a maximum theoretical throughput of 125MB/s, but it's generally lower than that. 100MB/s is achievable if you plan accordingly. If you need faster speeds than this, you should consider upgrading your network, or looking into something like Link Aggregation.

Good luck.

m
l
a b G Storage
July 31, 2010 3:49:10 AM

For what you need, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about which OS to go with. Linux and FreeBSD are excellent options, but will require a bit of a learning curve. You'll need to be committed to learning how to use the OS. I don't mean to scare you off by any means, but obviously any new OS will require some learning.

FreeNAS is FreeBSD essentially, it is just simplified, and intended for use JUST with NAS type systems. It will be less flexible, but be much simpler to use.

If you don't feel comfortable using any of these options, you can always go with Windows Server, or Windows Home Server, although these options will cost you, while *nix/BSD is free.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer. It's really up to you :) 

EDIT: Our very own forum member Sub Mesa is working on a GUI for BSD management. You can check out the log here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1521803
www.submesa.com
m
l
Related resources
!