Doing Upgrading, Please Help!

chipz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I am doing a little up grade to my old computer(3-4years old) each month.and i was wondering if i can get some help from you, the community.I don't know much about computers, and i don't know what to buy.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
2.41 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

And i have Windows XP Home Edition service pack 3, Version 2002

I'm thinking about upgrading my processor to one of them AMD Phenom II x4 Quad-core 3GHz Processor, i don't know if that would go good.And another good upgrade that would run my computer smoothly for video games.

I am play Counter-strike:source, also World Of warcraft.

Any Other ideas that i can buy a good upgrade?

Would this upgrade work?

mi1ez

Splendid
I believe you will have to upgrade your motherboard and RAM in order to get your hands on a phenom or phenom 2.

Do you have any more specs? motherboard? PSU?

If you only want to upgarde one item then extra RAM is your best bet for performance out the gate. If however you are running DDR then this will be surprisingly expensive and will be reduntant as soon as you upgrade your CPU and mainboard.

As I said, we'll need some more specs before going any further.

chipz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
MotherBoard Chipset nVIDIA GeForce 6150, AMD Hammer
M2NMotherboard Name: Asus M2NPV-VM (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

I cant seem to find the PSU.

so i should upgrade my RAM then. what other upgrade that can give good performance? if do decide to get another upgrade at the same time, what should i get?

You can check your bios version at the post screen. For upgrades, the 5600 am2 or 5050be cpus would work with certain bios versions on your current board. For the power supply, an antec 500w earthwatts can be had at fry's for $49.99 for one more day. Look for similar deals at newegg. Frys also has the 4850 video card for $79 after rebate or the 9800gt for about $30 more. If you want to go with the phenom II cpu, then change the motherboard to a 780 or 790 chipset. The 710 phenom II tri core is a good value and can be overclocked with the right board.