First Build Using Older Hardware - $150 Budget

mzx75

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hey. I have an Acer Aspire L310 that had die not too long ago. It is a form factor PC and I was wondering what I could replace/upgrade on it. Because of its size, I'm curious as to what type of motherboard and processor I should use. Here's an image and specifications on a newer version of L310: http://global.acer.com/PRODUCTS/desktop/asl310.htm . My old one however uses a Centrino processor and a motherboard also based on the Intel 946GZ + ICH7 Chipset I believe.

The old parts I'm going to use are a slot loading DVD drive, a wireless network card, the case/PSU, SO-DIMM RAM. Therefore, I would like recommends on a MOBO (one where I can also use the wireless network card and SO-DIMM RAM modules), processor, and other necessary things like thermal paste, cables, etc. I will be using integrated graphics, so newer graphics will be nice, but not necessary. I am new to building computers (I have only upgraded hardware such as video cards, RAM, hard drives), so any input would be greatly appreciated. I will be making the purchases from Newegg or ZipZoomFly, so free shipping and rebates would be great as well. Thanks for all your help!

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I love tiny computers. I think its amazing how small a box you need to get a nice system. I liked the apple cube.

Jyjjy has a nice set up there...

That case will take any microatx board..

If you want to go really small you need to check out the mini itx stuff.

http://www.mini-itx.com/

mzx75

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I think I will have to get a new case because the metal plate that comes with the MOBO cannot be replaced on my current case because it is actual built as part of the case. Unless, I can find a MOBO that fits perfectly with the case, I do not think I have another option.

Can you suggest any Intel processors (at least Core 2 Duo) with a compatible MOBO? Also, what type of MOBO uses SO-DIMM RAM as the MOBO that is in my Acer Aspire L310 uses them and I would like to reuse them if possible.