Installing windows 7 over an Ubuntu install

mcdrew

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I'm trying to install windows 7 home premium upgrade on to my SSD which currently has Ubuntu running on it. I do have a a product key for windows XP

When i try to select my SSD as the destination for installation, it won't let me. I think because its not the right file system(ntfs)

any ideas?

thanks

the tippy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

You would probably need to wipe the drive and install 7 then reinstall Ubuntu if you want because windows likes to be in charge

Mu33rto

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
You can boot into a live CD or usb running ubuntu. Log in as root, go to system->Administration->Disk Utility then select HDD and format..or delete partition. Or just wait till you run windows installation you can format the drive from there too.

zootnerper

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
As mu33rto says, but boot from live CD and format drive. I think just installing Windows, it will think something is wrong with the drive and not format it (daft as it sounds).

So, use live CD to format, then install Windows

zootnerper

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
The "try Ubuntu" comes on the Live CD (live cd means you can run the OS just from the cd, but don't install anything on the computer at all).

From the Live CD, can you delete the Ubuntu partition? Do that if you can. Or, from the Live CD, format in FAT32 and then let Windows delete/reformat to NTFS

mcdrew

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
So i was able to boot from the live cd and format the drive to NTFS, but windows still wouldn't allow me to install. It wouldn't create a partition and install on my storage HDD either.

Any ideas?