Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DDR3 Kit confusion

Last response: in Memory
Share
June 19, 2009 10:53:23 PM

Hello,

I'm going to build an i7 920 based pc and overclock it moderatly, the motherboard will be either Asus P6t Deluxe (my hardware dealer is trying to get one for me) or MSI X58 Platinum.
My question is, will this memory kit form A-data work?

http://oc.adata.com.tw/1_product_detail.asp?pid=AD31333...

I will purchase 3 kits (each kit contains 2 x 2GB stick = total 12GB).

I am confused because I've read that only triple ddr3 kits should be used with i7? and this is a dual ddr3 kit, and it's the only choice available for me at the moment.

Sorry if this was a silly question but I searched allot and came up with no answer.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

More about : ddr3 kit confusion

a b } Memory
June 19, 2009 11:32:19 PM

Ram kits are a sales tactic just like when Harley says says i have to use their oil in my motorcycle.

As long as it's the right type of ram for the board and the same make and model of ram you are fine. Although for those who don't know the differences, kits are a good fool proof option.
June 19, 2009 11:55:28 PM

When Xbit Labs tested those early ASUS P6 Deluxe x58 boards they tested DDR 3 that came in 4 gig kits and they worked just fine even though they were for P38 & P48 boards, so theoretically any DDR3 will work.
Related resources
a b } Memory
June 20, 2009 1:45:06 AM

go ahead, though figure out if 2 tri kits would be cheaper first though
June 20, 2009 9:40:14 AM

Thank you all, really appreciate your help.

Kind Regards
June 20, 2009 4:20:02 PM

I heard that you won't actually overclock well with 12gb for some reason that I can't remember.. I've only got up to 3.5 ish, and stable..
June 21, 2009 10:31:12 AM

kingnoobe said:
I heard that you won't actually overclock well with 12gb for some reason that I can't remember.. I've only got up to 3.5 ish, and stable..


Thanks Kingnoobe, actually I don't plan overclocking more than 3 - 3.2GHZ with stock cooling (I like to keep a safe distance).
June 21, 2009 5:10:36 PM

Just watch the voltage on those kits, you can run ddr3 alot higher on a core2 platform than you can on an i7.
a b } Memory
June 21, 2009 7:07:04 PM

Fuad said:
Hello,

I'm going to build an i7 920 based pc and overclock it moderatly, the motherboard will be either Asus P6t Deluxe (my hardware dealer is trying to get one for me) or MSI X58 Platinum.
My question is, will this memory kit form A-data work?

http://oc.adata.com.tw/1_product_detail.asp?pid=AD31333...

I will purchase 3 kits (each kit contains 2 x 2GB stick = total 12GB).

I am confused because I've read that only triple ddr3 kits should be used with i7? and this is a dual ddr3 kit, and it's the only choice available for me at the moment.

Sorry if this was a silly question but I searched allot and came up with no answer.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.


That memory is listed as requiring 1.65-1.85 volts.

Intel states that the limit of its Core i7 on-CPU memory controller is 1.65V, where going slightly above causes it to fry in weeks and going significantly higher causes it to fry in days.

The reason most people will recommend triple-channel kits is because they are packaged for Intel Core i7 processors. The real difference is what's INSIDE the package, as triple-channel kits are designed to work within the Core i7's lower voltage tolerance.

You can use dual-channel kits or single modules, but you have to pay closer attention to the voltage requirements. Triple-channel just means the company figured that out for you already.
June 21, 2009 9:12:01 PM

Crashman said:
That memory is listed as requiring 1.65-1.85 volts.

Intel states that the limit of its Core i7 on-CPU memory controller is 1.65V, where going slightly above causes it to fry in weeks and going significantly higher causes it to fry in days.

The reason most people will recommend triple-channel kits is because they are packaged for Intel Core i7 processors. The real difference is what's INSIDE the package, as triple-channel kits are designed to work within the Core i7's lower voltage tolerance.

You can use dual-channel kits or single modules, but you have to pay closer attention to the voltage requirements. Triple-channel just means the company figured that out for you already.


I've just checked tirple ram kits online (corsair dominator and kingston HyperX ), both show the working voltage is 1.65V, I tried looking into the data sheets but they did not mention any voltage range like a-data did.
I also tried finding a ddr3 ram with 1.5v working voltage but found none.

These are a-data technical specs:

Features
• Power supply (Normal): VDD & VDDQ = 1.5V ± 0.075V
• 1.5V (SSTL_15 compatible) I/O
• Timing Reference
- DDR3 1333 CL9-9-9-24 at 1.5V
- DDR3 1333 CL7-7-7-20 at 1.75V
• Burst Length: 4, 8
• Programmable Additive Latency: 0, CL - 2, or CL - 1 clock



Can you please give me your advice?

a b } Memory
June 22, 2009 12:37:52 AM

Fuad said:
I've just checked tirple ram kits online (corsair dominator and kingston HyperX ), both show the working voltage is 1.65V, I tried looking into the data sheets but they did not mention any voltage range like a-data did.
I also tried finding a ddr3 ram with 1.5v working voltage but found none.

These are a-data technical specs:

Features
• Power supply (Normal): VDD & VDDQ = 1.5V ± 0.075V
• 1.5V (SSTL_15 compatible) I/O
• Timing Reference
- DDR3 1333 CL9-9-9-24 at 1.5V
- DDR3 1333 CL7-7-7-20 at 1.75V
• Burst Length: 4, 8
• Programmable Additive Latency: 0, CL - 2, or CL - 1 clock



Can you please give me your advice?


The problem for me is that when I see a voltage range, I think "maybe the lower spec will work, maybe something closer to the higher side will be needed".

I believe Aeneon has some 1.50V DDR3, but I'd just stick with "anything" that "requires" 1.65V or less for rated speed.
June 22, 2009 1:57:52 PM

Crashman said:
The problem for me is that when I see a voltage range, I think "maybe the lower spec will work, maybe something closer to the higher side will be needed".

I believe Aeneon has some 1.50V DDR3, but I'd just stick with "anything" that "requires" 1.65V or less for rated speed.


Makes perfect sense, really appreciate your help.

Thank you
!