Sign in with
Your question

Best overclocking motherboard for an i720. Is the Intel DX58SO best?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 20, 2009 1:05:59 AM

UPDATE: Narrowed it down between the Rampage II Extreme and the P6T DELUXE V2.
Quote:
1.) Oh yeah... my i7 is going to be a D0 Stepping. I think thats supposed to be better than the previous, right?

2.) I was leaning towards the Rampage II Extreme, but the reviews on the newegg for the Rampage says it does not support 1800 and 2000 speeds with memory. The P6T Also lists a lot more memory standards on the specifications page. Is this true?

Link again:
P6T: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Rampage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OLD:
Hey, I'm about to upgrade from an E6600 to a i7 920 using Intel's Retail Edge Big Deal. Its that time already. Right now my computer seems... sluggish. My CPU Always at 90-100% usage. Its overclocked from 2.4Ghz to 3.12Ghz. Any more and temps go a lot higher.

I have 2 choices of buying:
$289: Intel i7 920 + Intel Motherboard DX58SO + Windows7
$129: Intel i7 920 + Windows7

Current Setup:
Quote:

4x Gateway Monitors. 3x24inchs (1920x1200) + 1x21inch (1280x720)
1x ATI HD4870 Graphics Card
1x ATI x1900 XTX Graphics Card
1x IntelE6600 Processor
1x P5W DH Deluxe Motherboad
4x 2GB G.SKILL Memory F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) (8GB TOTAL)
1x Corsair HX620 PowerSupply
1x Creative X-FI Platinum Sound Card
1x Custom Liquid Cooling Setup. DIY SETUP.

USAGE:
Quote:
Lots of internet Browsing. Have about 6 Chrome Browsers Open with 100+ Tabs on each
Occasional Gaming (Counter-Strike, Prototype, Etc.)
Multi Tasking a lot. Right now I have Chrome, 3DS Max, Ventrilo, Watching a 720P Movie, uTorrent, PuttY, WinSCP (Downloading), iTunes, notepads all open. I use them efficiently on all 4 monitors.
Right now Im at 94% Usage and 55 Degrees C Temp

Ordering Sunday. Want to get as much info by then.
June 20, 2009 1:15:04 AM

Well, Intel offers sort of a baseline or standard reference desing, look at something from Gigabyte or Asus if you want really good overclocking.
And isn't 300+ tabs a little excessive for anything?
June 20, 2009 2:23:55 AM

Yea, I guess it is. But believe it or not, I actually use them all the time. I cycle back in forth between stuff.

Im into programming and CGI Animation. I freelance for both and have a small company I run while I go to graduate school, so one browser has about 60-100 tabs or so of MSDN references, examples, ideas I jott for seperate projects, and resource links. Another browser has the same thing, but for 3DS and Maya Stuff, another browser is just for misc usually (Facebook, Email, News Sites), and the last browser usually is for my grad stuff. Class notes, Test Examples, etc.

Heres a screenshot of my current desktop:

Back to computer stuff.

Any mobos you guys recommend or have had good success with? P6T? eVGA Classified? UD5?
Related resources
June 20, 2009 3:17:52 AM

Just bought the i7 for 129... 129.. yea right... Intel charged me 158 total for shipping and tax. Better ship fast, jeez.

Anywho, Ive got a list of mobos to look at. Which do you guys would say is best in cost/worthit ratio?

Classified, Rampage 2 Extreme, Gigabyte X58 Extreme, Asus P6T6 WS, U5D, and Bloodrage

Preferably would like to stay under 300 due to budgeting reasons. Saving for a Japan trip.
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2009 3:22:25 AM

Well, the Classified is the best overclocker, but if you aren't going into rather extreme circumstances (phase change cooling or something like that), I'd probably go with the Asus P6T6, or something similar.
June 20, 2009 3:48:40 AM

Actually Im looking at Nitrogen coolant. Seems like something fun to experiment with. I asked a professor, and he said he could provide me with some liquid nitro if I wanted.

Off-topic from my original post.. but can liquid nitro be used for everyday cooling for my pc? Or do people just use it for benching.
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2009 4:53:39 AM

Nope - you'd go through it by the tens of gallons. It evaporates away as it is cooling your CPU. It's only used for pushing the limits, not for everyday running. If you even want to experiment with it though, the Classified is the way to go for sure.
June 20, 2009 10:47:09 AM

I looked at all the options here, and Im stupid. Prices seem to attract me. I REALLY want the Classified, but I know its a waste deep down.... sigh...

I'm debating right now between the Rampage II Extreme and the P6T Deluxe V2. Both open-box from newegg. My last motherboard was open-box and had a good experience with it. It was only missing the IO Shield, and I emailed ASUS and they sent me one for free.

Question though... my 8GB Setup wont work with the i7 right? Im going to have to buy a 6GB Kit? Would you say I'ld be losing performance on downgrading from 8GB DDR2 to 6GB DDR3? Should I get another kit to make it 12GB?

Thanks! Im almost ready to order :D 

ps: Damn.. thought Phase would last longer than just benchmarks. Why do people benchmark anyways if they cant use nitro to cool it permanently? I can always get more nitro from my campus, but Im guessing it goes fast.. :/ 
June 20, 2009 11:06:26 AM

It depends on what your ram is set to, but from an out of box run of the mill set, you would be gaining performance.

As for your benchmark comment, it's a sport for some people, to see how far they can push their computer.Although nitro can't be used full time, but there are other alternatives that don't cool as much but would assist in overclocking.

Yes nitro goes REALLY REALLY fast

also i have an i7 920 build right now with a p6t deluxe v2 and it's just fine.Although if you really are insistent on overclocking to the extreme a classified is the way to go.Although with what overclocking i would imagine you doing, a p6 would be more than enough
June 20, 2009 6:35:39 PM

Umm.. apparently both of those are bad choices after reading up a little more.

Sigh.. I suck at picking out memory. What do you guys use/recommend?
June 21, 2009 8:42:15 PM

How did u get a core i7 920 for 129 dollars? Where did u get this?

crewxp said:
Just bought the i7 for 129... 129.. yea right... Intel charged me 158 total for shipping and tax. Better ship fast, jeez.

Anywho, Ive got a list of mobos to look at. Which do you guys would say is best in cost/worthit ratio?

Classified, Rampage 2 Extreme, Gigabyte X58 Extreme, Asus P6T6 WS, U5D, and Bloodrage

Preferably would like to stay under 300 due to budgeting reasons. Saving for a Japan trip.

a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2009 9:20:46 PM

crewxp said:

ps: Damn.. thought Phase would last longer than just benchmarks. Why do people benchmark anyways if they cant use nitro to cool it permanently? I can always get more nitro from my campus, but Im guessing it goes fast.. :/ 

Actually, you can run elaborate phase change and cascade coolers that can keep a CPU at -150C or so permanently, and could be run as 24/7 setups (if, of course, you don't mind all the noise, expense, and extra electricity use). They're a lot more complex than a liquid nitrogen pot though.
June 22, 2009 7:18:25 AM

As for the question between the price. Its Intel's Retail Edge Big Deal. I think its all over Google. I get all my processors with that deal.

Deciding in 1 hour!! Im leaning towards the Platinum again! :(  Should I??
June 22, 2009 9:18:04 AM

1.) Oh yeah... my i7 is going to be a D0 Stepping. I think thats supposed to be better than the previous, right?

2.) I was leaning towards the Rampage II Extreme, but the reviews on the newegg for the Rampage says it does not support 1800 and 2000 speeds with memory. The P6T Also lists a lot more memory standards on the specifications page. Is this true?

Link again:
P6T: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Rampage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 22, 2009 10:52:01 AM

Going with the OCZ's. Just made the final decision. I think im choosing the platinums over the XMP. Thanks guys!!

I have a feeling they will do good!! Think I can hit 4Ghz with water cooling and my Rampage II Extreme/P6T?
June 22, 2009 1:16:24 PM

I have a RIIE and 4Ghz wont be a problem unless you're unlucky with your i7.
June 23, 2009 12:45:46 AM

Okay cool. Awesome. I was just kind of scared because reviews and specifications on newegg listed more memory choices for the P6T than the Rampage

Oh yeah.... you think I could fit my video card on the Rampage since it has a watercooling block on it? From the pictures, it looks like the Rampage's video card slots are spaced close together.
!