I need some advise.

jin88

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Okay so I've had a bit of a bad experience so far..

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

COOLER MASTER GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Sunbeam PSU-ECO650-US 650W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000CSRTL 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Sony Optiarc 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7220S

Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I bought all of these for under 800$.

I originally bought an ep45 (same brand). I put everything together properly (to my knowledge). I powered it on and it wouldn't post. Everything turned on; fans, hard drive, mobo. I got my friend to come over with literally the exact same setup except he has the ep35, a different HD, and a GTX instead of a GT. I first swapped the speaker to make sure it was working lol. We swapped my memory into his board, worked fine. I returned the board as DOA assuming that the processor was in good condition. We didn't test my processor in his mobo because he is a big baby and is afraid to break his computer. This leaves me to either a defect mobo or processor right? I bought the ep35. Received it, and it still will not post. I was hoping that I didn't receive a DOA mobo AGAIN while RMA'ing the processor. I should get it in the next day, but I have this horrible feeling that it's not going to work. Any suggestions to solve this problem?

This is my first build. I had assistance putting it together and picking out parts but I really don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. I feel like I'm close I just need ideas on how to solve this apparently common problem.

P.S. DOA items blow.

Thanks
jin

Yep.

First, ask here before you start ordering parts.

Second, stop RMA'ing parts. You are making far too many assumptions and not doing the work.

Your memory requires 2.1V. If it doesn't get it, it might not boot. Just because your memory worked in your friends computer, does not mean your P35 motherboard would be able to recognize it. Do the two boards have identical BIOS versions?

You might have to put in a more compatible stick of 1.8V memory into your board, adjust the voltage, then boot with your RAM.

Sunbeam is not considered a good brand of PSU. Bad voltage regulation or ripple could be complicating your problem.

Here is the list of common mistakes first time builders make:

1. Failing to plug in the 4/8 pin power connector near the CPU.

2. Failing to to properly install the motherboard standoffs, or installing them in such a way as to short out the motherboard.

3. Failing to properly ground themselves and transferring static charge to delicate electronic parts.

4. Incorrectly applying thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink.

5. Failing to fully seat the heatsink.

6. Not connecting the 6 pin PCI-E power cable to the video card (for those that need them).

7. Not fully seating the RAM. (can often take more force than expected by the first timer.)

8. Not fully seating the video card. (can often take more force than expected by the first timer.)

^ Everything he said. The 1066 memory. That is the frist thing I would suspect.

It will more times than not, cause you problems. 1066 memory is simply overclocked 800mhz memory with higher voltage requirements, and usually looser timings, which most motherboards will not detect the correct voltage or timings for.

Unless you are going to overclock past 400mhz on the FSB, you do not need 1066 memory.

Or, borrow some 800mhz memory to get the board to post, and then go into the BIOS and set the memory settings for your 1066 memory in order to get it to work.

Of course, if you are ever playing around and need to reset the BIOS, you will have to do this all over again.

jin88

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Sooo I tried the case thing. That wasn't it. Still didn't post. I'm guessing I should go buy some 800 mhz RAM and just return it after i get the board to post? meh i don't know what to do anymore..

Don't buy anything or RMA anything else yet....

Make sure you have the 4/8 pin cpu power plugged in next to the cpu (as proximon said). Everything can have power, but without that, the cpu will not have power to POST.

Do you hear any beep codes?

Make sure everything is seated ALL THE WAY.