Power Supply Ground

dsundquist

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
So i was helping my friend install a new motherboard, and it wouldn't work. When i took it apart though i noticed his power supply was missing the white cable on the motherboard connection. The white cable is the ground cable. How can I fix his power supply and not be forced to buy a new one?

Thanks!

ps. its clearly his power supply not his motherboard, because it works fine with my power supply.

mi1ez

Splendid
Black is ground. The white cable is -5v.

-5V became optional in ATX spec 1.2 (Jan '02) and was completely removed in ATX 2.01 (June '04)

Couldn't say what's wrong with his power supply. what make and power is it, and what PC is it trying to power. Did it work before the mobo change? Have you double checked all cables and RAM, CPU etc.?

dsundquist

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Yeah his other motherboard worked.. except his cmos battery was dying constantly. He has the old motherboard in there and the power supply is working with it. We have narrowed it down to the power supply swapping every part out with a known working part. Hes trying to power an amd 7750 (black edition 64 dual core 2.7 ghz). Is there away to replace this missing cable?

Basic troubleshooting - if a motherboard works with one PSU but not another, the freaking PSU is bad.

And it's not because of the "missing" white wire. Black wires are the ground wires.