Please Advice for First Time Build

tony_69

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Hi I’m Thinking of building a computer from scratch used mainly for gaming (first person shooters and the like) I want to be able to play at maxed out or near graphics resolution with quality setting at high etc, also it will be used for video editing.

I have a few questions to ask and if you are kind enough to give me some advice, please feel free to advise me on anything I may have overlooked.

First I would like to know if it’s worth going for sli say for example two Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 cards or is it as well to go for one gtx 280, would the two matched gtx 260 cards have to be sli compatible (or are they that anyway?) and would my psu have to be sli compatible?

I’m looking for a good motherboard atx form factor and sli compatible for Intel quad core processor, what would you recommend?

As for ram memory I would like at least 8mb is DDR3 ram worth the extra money over DDR2 ram I know to make use of that ram I’m going to need Vista 64 bit O/S

I would also have a couple of 1 terrabyte hard drives and onboard sound is good enough for now and Im not worried about Blu ray a standard dvd dual layer drive and maybe an internal card reader, I was thinking of a case with 1000watt psu coolmaster maybe? Any suggestions.

Please feel free to criticise my ramblings here as I say it’s my first build and I don’t want to make any costly mistakes that could have been avoided.
Many thanks Tony

Please see my guide, linked in my signature or at the top of this forum.

Most of your questions are answered there.

Cooler Master makes good cases, not PSUs. Corsair makes a fine 1K watt, if in fact you actually end up needing that much.