Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Replacement

Last response: in Motherboards
June 20, 2009 4:53:49 AM

I need help finding a motherboard to replace a current one.

I am trying to fix a sony vaio pcv rx650. I think something is wrong with the bios or the mobo because when ever i turn on the computer the keyboard and mouse wont turn on. Also the monitor wont load up anything at all.

Intel Pentium 4 1.60 ghz
512 pc-2100 ddr
80 gig ultra ata/100 hd

i would need to get a mobo that is compatible with the cpu

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRX650spec.pdf
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2009 6:36:25 AM

From what you say, there's no guarantee that the mobo is the problem.

But even if your diagnosis is correct, there's no guarantee that a "compatable" mobo will work because Sony may be using a special order, "proprietary" mobo, perhaps from a brand name manufacturer.

Dell, eg, will often specify special connectors for audio and front panel connections. A retail mobo will not have those connectors in exactly the same pinout. While you could rewire in most cases . . . well, that's a project. And then there's the "Sony" version of the BIOS, which may or may not be important for your particular machine to run.

Called Sony? Probably off-warranty and they won't repair or supply a mobo?

If you are determined to go ahead, examine the mobo for manufacturer, part number, and revision number. Then search to see if its a standard retail part. If it is, see if one's available or report that here.
June 20, 2009 4:23:59 PM

Other than the motherobard what could be a problem that is causing my keyboard and mouse to not come on when the computer starts. The monitor doesn't come on at all either. Not that it doesn't have power it just doesn't load up anything and goes to sleep.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2009 4:54:41 PM

Could be power supply, eg.

Could be there are other symptoms you aren't mentioning or haven't noticed. Remember, I can't see your PC.

The problem of replacing the mobo remains as I described.
June 20, 2009 5:03:34 PM

Lets see, i turn on the computer and the fans start working fine.

There are two little lights by the power on button which are indicators. The first one is a hard disk drive access indicator light and the other is a driver indicator light.

Indicator Light
Quote:
it says "Lights in amber while reading and writing data from and to the hard disk"

Both of these are not coming on when i turn on the computer, then my monitor just goes to sleep. The keyboard and mouse are also not turning on.

However when i did get the computer to boot up, i saw that the computer only has 1.7 gigs of space on its hard drive.

Everything starts working fine for about 5 minutes i can access everything, then it just freezes. I was able to partially run cc cleaner and i saw there were a lot of missing shared dll files. I don't know if this has to do with any of the freezing.

I did open the case and try to unplug the hd cables and plug them back in.
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2009 5:41:39 PM

Freezes after boot up are often driver, psu, or memory issues. You have a pretty full small disk there that needs some loving, too. And the missing .dlls could mean there's been some scrambling of the file structure which could also account for the freeze.

When you boot up now, do you get the BIOS splash screen before the monitor goes to "sleep"? Do you get any portion of the OS boot-up screens before it goes to sleep?

Even with this info, I don't think we're going to make much progress without being able to swap in a new psu and see if that helps. Do you have another PC that we could mount this HD in and take a look at its contents and integrity?

A quick look shows that the replacement cost for your system with a much larger HD is maybe $270.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/inspndt_530/pd....

That's an alternative as well.
June 20, 2009 5:47:11 PM

I do not get a BIOS splash screen. nothing comes on at all. Not even part of the os boot-up

I have a psu that i bought but never used, i can probably pop that in there and see if its going to make a
difference.

I just need to find the actual problem, because if its the hd i can easily buy a new one you know.

I can always get a new mobo, cpu, and ram and just keep the same tower with the drivers and hd. that would be pretty cheap. But i don't want to do that and find out the hd was the problem in the first place
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2009 6:10:19 PM

Well, the two things I'd try first are:

- Put your HD in another PC (as a data drive, not as the boot drive) and examine its content and integrity in an environment where you know everything else works.

- Swap in a new psu for a trial.

A new mobo, cpu, and ram are likely to require you to re-install the OS as well, not just lay down the original disk image on your current or a new HD. And then there's the issue of whether the case uses non-standard connectors that you have the skills to modify and make work.

As long as you are aware of those risks, sure you can reuse the old case and as many of the old parts as you are willing to remain bound to.
June 20, 2009 6:18:28 PM

alright i will try both of them out

Although, i have to say i have never messed with hd's before so id have to find out how to use it as a data drive instead of a boot drive
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2009 11:05:31 PM

Just add it to any Windows PC in an open slot, plug in a power and data cable, and boot up. Windows will assign it a drive letter depending on what else is on that system. (eg, If only one HD, one DVD, and nothing else, your added HD will show up as "E"). None of the applications will work at this time, because the OS in use is on the other HD. Which is why I called it a data drive.

Then take a look at it, see if those dlls are really missing, run chkdsk on it, delete some garbage to give yourself more room, etc.

If all that works, your problem is not likely to be the disk drive.
June 21, 2009 12:01:51 AM

alright thank you for all the hlep
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2009 12:36:22 AM

Good luck! If you find the problem, please let us know.
June 21, 2009 5:51:02 AM

Aright i took out the ram and turned on the computer.

The motherboard beeped, which im guessing its still working

It loaded up the first time then the second time it didnt.

We also swapped out the hard drives and nothing happend

I did take the hardrive from the faulty computer and installed it into my old computer. It wouldn't recognize the hard drive as a data drive, then we also tried putting it as the primary boot hard drive and it would not recognize the hd when we tried to install xp.

Does anyone know a compatible motherboard, so i don't have to change the cpu or ram. The ram i dont really care about; its cheap to replace ;) 

Thanks

ps i also took out the battery to reset the CMOS, nothing happened expect the hard drive light indicator now stays on.
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2009 11:55:34 PM

Look at your mobo and read the manufacturer, model number, and Revision number. Then do a search.
!