External Hard Drive not working

Toagus

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hello,I recently lost my cable that connects the hard drive to the computer. So I took my portable speaker charger which fits with the hard drive port and then plugged it in. However, when i did that, there was a weird beeping noise and it did'nt work. Later when I plugged in the actual cable, it gave me the error code 43. Could someone please help?

Have a close look at the "brick" portion of both power cables to see what the voltage on each one is. It'll be a number followed by a "V", as in "5V".

I suspect your speaker charger delivers a higher voltage than the hard drive is designed for, and you've damaged its circuitry.

If you're lucky, you may have just damaged the circuitry in the enclosure itself and not the actual hard drive. You may be able to open up the hard drive case, remove the hard drive, and put it into another case in order to retrieve the data.

Toagus

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Err, could you help me, I can't seem to get it open. There ar no screws on the casing. Is it possible to go to a data recovery centre and get my data out?

Also, there is no volatage info on my cables, they are the Micro usb -> Usb cable.

Ah - I was assuming you were talking about cables that plugged into a wall socket, but now it seems like your speaker charger cable just plugs directly into a computer USB port?

If so, it doesn't seem likely that it would have damaged your drive, so I'm not sure what to suggest. Have you tried shutting your system down, powering it off, and then starting it back up again? Sometimes USB issues will persist until a shutdown/reboot.

Toagus

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Yes that is correct, it plugs into the computer.

Well that is a relief, perhaps there is hope after all. I will try to do what you say, and thank you again for all your help. I don't have anything too important on it, so I it's not that big a problem.