Recovering dynamic hard disk

I have a large ATA disk with Win2003. I started mirroring it's boot
partition (C: of about 8GB) on to another one (using MS Software
RAID). However I shutdown the machine before the mirroring was even
10% complete.

I lost the other disk (mirror target) & have not been able to boot
with the original disk alone after that. System goes upto windows GUI
but then resets again.

On connecting the disk to another system (booting Win2003 off a
different disk), the Disk Manager showed this disk to be foreign and
therefore I imported it. However the importing terminated with an
error - and hence could not complete.

Now when I view this disk on another system, it appears as an
uninitialized disk & windows would want me to initialize it (hence
erasing it).

The question now is how to recover the disk to it's original state or
at least access the data on the disk.

Thanks for any info you can provide,
- A. Kaul.

This is a WinXP group, not a Win2k3 group - big difference between
client and server OS's. You may wish to repost in the
"microsoft.public.windows.server.***" groups.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
<kaulam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a large ATA disk with Win2003. I started mirroring it's boot
> partition (C: of about 8GB) on to another one (using MS Software
> RAID). However I shutdown the machine before the mirroring was even
> 10% complete.
>
> I lost the other disk (mirror target) & have not been able to boot
> with the original disk alone after that. System goes upto windows
GUI
> but then resets again.
>
> On connecting the disk to another system (booting Win2003 off a
> different disk), the Disk Manager showed this disk to be foreign and
> therefore I imported it. However the importing terminated with an
> error - and hence could not complete.
>
> Now when I view this disk on another system, it appears as an
> uninitialized disk & windows would want me to initialize it (hence
> erasing it).
>
> The question now is how to recover the disk to it's original state
or
> at least access the data on the disk.
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide,
> - A. Kaul.

If your disk is in a bad state, your best bet is to start with a data
recovery service. It's likely that you can't recover it using Windows
out-of-the-box.

--
Please reply in newsgroup.

<kaulam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a large ATA disk with Win2003. I started mirroring it's boot
> partition (C: of about 8GB) on to another one (using MS Software
> RAID). However I shutdown the machine before the mirroring was even
> 10% complete.
>
> I lost the other disk (mirror target) & have not been able to boot
> with the original disk alone after that. System goes upto windows GUI
> but then resets again.
>
> On connecting the disk to another system (booting Win2003 off a
> different disk), the Disk Manager showed this disk to be foreign and
> therefore I imported it. However the importing terminated with an
> error - and hence could not complete.
>
> Now when I view this disk on another system, it appears as an
> uninitialized disk & windows would want me to initialize it (hence
> erasing it).
>
> The question now is how to recover the disk to it's original state or
> at least access the data on the disk.
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide,
> - A. Kaul.

TRENDING THREADS