How to set up SSD?

How do I actually set up my SSD to get the most out of it?

I've bought a 64gb Kingston SSD V now but i'll also be using two SATA drives aswell.

(Q1) Will the two SATA cause problems with the SSD?

(Q2) Can I enable ACHI even with two SATA drives? I can enable this through the bios? It is important to enable this for trim support and other special features, correct?

(Q3) I've read defraging should be disabled. This is disabled by default isn't it? I don't ever remeber doing a defrag with my SATA drives

(Q4) I've heard something about drive allignment and that windows should create a partition. Can someone shed light on this? Does windoes automatically do this when installing?

(Q5) Should I adjust the Page File? I seen a number of people discussing this issue and my conclusion is that it's not a big issue and should be left alone to prevent problems.

(Q6) Indexing and superfetching, i've no ideas about this stuff. Are they important?

Lots of questions so sorry, but as I said i'm trying to get the most out of it.

P.S. I didn't see anything in the sticky about this, so sorry if it's an annoying question or been posted a million times before.
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. 1) No
    2) I dont know
    3) Depending on your OS (Vista and 7) enable it by default as far as I am aware and you have to manually disable it.
    4) I would think windows does that automatically but I am not sure
    5) The pagefile should be removed from the SSD onto one of the SATA drives
    6) Indexing and Superfetching should be disabled as they will wear down the SSD faster.

Sorry I dont know the answers to all of your questions.
  2. What operating system as Trim is only supported with win 7 and since you mentioned Trim I' assume that is what you are using.

(1) and (2) If HDDs are not part of a raid configuration, you can use AHCI for SSDs and HDDs. If planning on using raid0 or Raid1 for the HDDs then I recommend putting them on seperate controllers. On my I5-750, I have a SSD and 2 HDDs on the Intel controller set to AHCI, and I set my Blu-ray writer and DVD writer to GSATA Controller (Have gigabyte MB).
    (3 and 4). Windows 7 will (1) correctly align partition size (you can verify, just google check Patition size. (2) Windows 7 installation should atomatically disable defrag and enable trim support.
    (5) On page file - pros and cons. On my two laptops (they only support 1 HDD and they each have 4 Gigs of RAM) I set the page file min and max value to 1 Gig (win 7 does not like 0). This tends to reduce dynamically varinging the size, reducing read/writes. On my desktop (80 Gig drive SSD), I set the swap file to the HDD (D Drive) and set the min and max values to the "Recommended" size - 1.5 x memory, 6 gigs and for a 64 Gig SSD with 4 gigs of ram that equals 10 % of the SSD space.
    (6) Myself, I disabled indexing and superfetching, Also disabled hibernation. Not a biggy as read/write cyles with these enabled should not decrease lifetime by a great amount, unless you do allot of read/writes. While the performance may be sligthly better with these enable, Disabling these MAY improve performance inbetween Trim Cmd as trim is not a constant running cmd but only implimented when certain conditions are meet. And if "life" is a question, may sleep easier if Disabled.
  3. Cheers for the replies!

Where do I go to disable indexing and superfetching?

Quote:
    5) The pagefile should be removed from the SSD onto one of the SATA drives

Can you do that? Does the PF not have to be on the same Drive as the OS?

And yeah i'm using win 7. It seems win 7 does most of the set up so?
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD SATA Storage