Upgrading/Video cards Please Help.

chipz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
My computer specs are, PowerSupply:400W ATX
Mainboard: Asus Mainbboard, socket AM2,GeForce 6150
Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3800+,Socket AM2
2 Ram:512MB 533MHz DDR2 Module (x2 for 1 GB)
HardDrive:WD 250GB HD, 7200RPM 8MB, ATA100
VideoCard: AsusExtremeNN7600GT/DHT, GEFORCE 7600GT,256mb
DDR3,128-BIT,PCle x16 Dual DVI-i HDTV.
Soundcard: CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI XTREMEMUSIC, 24 bit,
7.1SoundCard
Windows xp homeedition

I am going to buy GF 9600, a better processor, 4 or 6 GB of ram, with vista, and i was wonder if i can put GF 9600+ GeForce 7600 together, would it give my computer better performance in Frames Per Second, and the ping wise too? I am playing Counter-strike:source.

Would i need to buy extra stuff inorder for that stuff to work?

And another Q: I'm sorta on a budget from month to month, and i was wishing to put this together in 2-4 months, Witch is the best way to go, like lets say i buy two parts one month, and one part for another month, what are you the commuity think?

@ chipz: You cannot SLI the two cards you have, they have to be the same core.
A stronger PSU would be my first choice, 500W from a good supplier such as Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, OCZ or PC Power and Cooling will be enough then Graphics, CPU, memory and Vista last.
Before the CPU upgrade, check the motherboard makers website to make sure any new CPU will work in your board, some may need a BIOS flash or may need more power than your board can provide.

mi1ez

Splendid
overclocking is generally fine in moderation. You may knock a couple of years off a chip that would otherwise last 10-15years, however if done too extremes can kill a CPU off instantly or seriously shorten life expectancy. There are planty of guides on OCing on the web, including here on Tom's.