huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I have been thinking about building a server to run in my house. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Ideally, I would like to to be not too expensive, as to not upset the wife, and be expandable. I was thinking that I may eventually have all of my DVDs ripped to it so I can access them from any PC or media extender (when they come down in price) in the house.

I have a friend who is running a server on a P4 with ease, so I was thinking that even a low build would do.

Let me know what you think.

G31 or other integrated GPU boards - I'm not going to need to have a monitor on this. I would ideally have many SATA ports (4-6) I think less that $50.

E5200 (or if someone could suggest and AMD CPU that is quality in that range or lower - would need a different mobo as well)
$70 ish

No GPU necessary.

2x2GB RAM - probably less than $40 if I can find it.

640GB HDD and add TB storage later on.

Case - I was thinking Antec 300 - can be had for $39.99 right now

PSU - I was thinking Antec Earthwatts, Corsair, or PC Power and Cooling in the 400w range.

I have a copy of Windows Server 2008 already - free from my school.

What do you think? I think the total comes out to about $300. Things to consider? Improve?

Thanks in advance for help.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Anyone have any suggestions at all? I was really trying to keep it pretty cheap (so the wife doesn't kill me), but very reliable.

Thanks to all who have any ideas or improvements of any kind.

Sounds like a good plan.

If you intend to compress those DVDs consider a quad cpu instead of the E5200. It will save you a lot of time.

Check this out too:
http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Thanks aevm for the look at a potential build.

I have now come up with a slight change to the plan - if I can finagle it, I will upgrade my E8400 to a Q9550 or Q9650 and put the E8400 (underclocked possibly) into the server.

I think I can rip the DVDs and move them, though it will still take some time on the network.

I was also thinking about this case because of hotswap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=zalman+full+tower&x=0&y=0

I know it adds a lot to the price, but it would be nice to fit 9 HDDs in there in some sort of RAID.

Thanks for the advice aevm.