Xps 420(q6600) help

bigdeebird

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
After building systems (hobby) for a few years, I liked the looks of the dell xps420, when it came out and bought one. didn't take long before i realized (dell does not let you be an adult and oc) even with your own system. Have changed the psu 700w,4gigs ocz pc6400 800 mhz mem, bought a xfx 260 vc. I was wondering if by changing the mb with the q6600 will I be able to oc, or is the cpu itself locked? bought a second xfx260 vc, and was going to change my mb anyway for sli. is it worth it to keep the q6600 or replace both the cpu and mb? thanks in advance for help. Any suggestions 300-400 mb and cpu combo if needed

bigdeebird

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

Thought the first was not explained well enough, so i explained myself better :/

jeff75

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Your only problem is that the motherboard in an XPS 420 is a BTX motherboard, not an ATX, and usually the I/O panel connector is proprietary. So don't believe you'll be able to change the motherboard. You'll have to get a new case and new copy of Windows. The copy of Windows you have now is tied to the Dell motherboard so it won't install with a non-Dell motherboard.

bigdeebird

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

Thanks for your imput, when I bought the 420 I had already built a lot of my own systems and wasn't aware of dells barbarian ways, if its not from dell-u must customize everything. guess there good for just someone who needs a computer thats not looking at tweaking or upgrading except from dells limited idea's of upgrades. I had the same problem when i changed the 375 psu, wires came from different area's of the psu to fit there design. now being a tiger direct and newegg junkie :things have changed" I am going to make this system a bedroom e-mail reader, and look to build a nice system. there are so many choices and new stuff that is getting harder to make a decision. reading all of ppl's reveiws on the newer cpu's and mb's(it really depends alot on choice and taste for certain companies and experiences). I have every copy of windows except 7, was on vacation and missed the beta. Thanks again for the good information. FDEE