Sign in with
Your question

How to Speed up Startup

Last response: in Windows XP
July 1, 2011 7:28:31 AM

Hi Guys

I have a Asus A8N-VM CSM Mother Board With a AMD 64 Athlon 64 3000+ Overclocked rom 1.8ghz to 2.0ghz. Which i check with prime 95 and is stable

I also Tested my ram with memtest 86 which brang up no errors. I.ve Got 1.5 Gb of ram which im thinking of upgrading to about 3 gb or soo.

My problem is that from boot screen to windows startup takes so long to open.
I dont realy want to have to format my hardrive and reinstal windows.
Normally once my desktop has appered i have to wait an extra 10 minutes to even hit the start button.
Also wanted to know in the end; if i doo have to format it would it be possible to load 64 bit addition of windows.

I am also having trouble with usb ports. Sometimes when i plug something in it just will not recognise it.
The only way i can get it to recegnise in this circumstace is to shut down windows , plug in the usb device, restart windows and then it will work.

Also when shuting down i get a lot of programes that i dont even know about that need to be ended. Woul it be applicable to load windows 7 ?

Thanks Guys and have a good day :ange: 

More about : speed startup

July 1, 2011 3:52:25 PM

considering you got an old machine I think you should stick with XP for now

firstly I would recommend to run malware bytes to clean any unwanted spyware
also if you don't have an antivirus, consider getting one of the free ones like:
Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, Avast, Avira.

Also, for startup, download CCleaner, it's free, it will fix errors in registry and you will also be able to edit the startup list of programs, so I'd recommend to remove any programs from startup list that you don't need to be started at logon, that will help with bootup time.

which usb controllers do you have? typically 1.2 will give you problems nowadays with 2.0 devices being connected to them.
m
l
July 2, 2011 12:25:58 AM

AntiZig said:
considering you got an old machine I think you should stick with XP for now

firstly I would recommend to run malware bytes to clean any unwanted spyware
also if you don't have an antivirus, consider getting one of the free ones like:
Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, Avast, Avira.

Also, for startup, download CCleaner, it's free, it will fix errors in registry and you will also be able to edit the startup list of programs, so I'd recommend to remove any programs from startup list that you don't need to be started at logon, that will help with bootup time.

which usb controllers do you have? typically 1.2 will give you problems nowadays with 2.0 devices being connected to them.

Hi thanks for the hints.

All of the things that you stated are done except for malware bites.
In fact the only programs on startup are system files and my printer.
How would i fix this problem of the old usb?
Do i get a pci card for an extra 2 "2.o usb"?
Also have decided that i will format and re-install windows xp 32 bit to fix all of those little problems and programs that wont go away.

Thank you :) 
m
l
July 3, 2011 5:08:38 PM

well, one solution is yes, get a pci card with usb 2.0 controller, but even then, your motherboard can have sketchy behavior. (I did that with my old desktop and if I had anything plugged into the usb 2.0 card the computer wouldn't shut down when you selected to shut down, you had to manually "pull the plug" or disconnect all usb 2.0 devices before shutting down)

best solution would be to replace the motherboard with the one that already has usb 2.0 controller.
m
l
!