Sign in with
Your question

CHKDSK hanging

Last response: in Storage
July 30, 2010 4:28:19 PM

I've been having problems with my computer lately. I decided to run a chkdsk today and see what happens. It goes through stages 1-3 ok. But when it gets to 4 of 5 it hangs up at 19 percent. Not a complete hang up, but extremely slow. Has been on 19% for 20 minutes now. Hard drive light is on but hear no sound coming from it. Is this a sign that my HDD might be about to go? I already have things backed up. Been fiddling with my computer for two weeks trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

More about : chkdsk hanging

July 30, 2010 7:20:34 PM

tyb said:
I've been having problems with my computer lately. I decided to run a chkdsk today and see what happens. It goes through stages 1-3 ok. But when it gets to 4 of 5 it hangs up at 19 percent. Not a complete hang up, but extremely slow. Has been on 19% for 20 minutes now. Hard drive light is on but hear no sound coming from it. Is this a sign that my HDD might be about to go? I already have things backed up. Been fiddling with my computer for two weeks trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

I'm definitely not an expert and hopefully someone who knows more will answer, but chkdsk can take a very long time to run. If the HDD light is active I would think it was doing something even if you don't hear much noise. You can read something about this here:

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Search on the page for "stage 4". It says "Note that this process can be quite lengthy. taking many hours." According to Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...

it can take "over several days" on a "large" hard drive, the example they give being 70GB. :lol: 

Your chkdsk might just be stuck on a complicated part of your hard drive. How big is your hard drive? How much stuff is on it? Do you have any sections with lots and lots of small files? From my experience a large number of small files can cause hangups worse than a few very large files.

Also did you run chkdsk at boot, or from the Recovery Console, or some other way?

I would say definitely don't try to stop it from running until someone more knowledgeable tells you what to do, just trying to reassure you.
m
l
!