Hidden Partition - How do I get it back?

Ed

Hi folks, I tryed to install a program called MagicBoot,
it's a Boot Manager program. Well, it worked but then I
decided to unistall it. My problems stated here. First a
menssage saying it didn't find the uninstall file, so it
couldn't go on, but the folder was not there anymore.
Second, I have one hard drive with 2 partitions, 1st has
the system files, recovery files, things like that and de
2nd partition is the everyday-use partition. Well,
whatever that program did it made my 1st partition
disapear, I mean, it's there but it's hidden and there's
no drive letter assigned to it therefore I can't see it
in Windows Explorer like I used to. Actually the only
place I still can see it is through "Computer Manegement
> Storage > Disk Management". Still with no drive letter
and when I give it a right-mouse-click the only option
are "Delete Partition and Help".

I tryed System Restore, but it shows me a warning
saying "Changes on drive D: wont take place since the
drive is offline, was removed or is hidden", so I can't
use system restore.

I tryed to install the MagicBoot program again so I could
change it's settings, and again it wont let me becouse
the instalation program detects that it is already
installed and asks to uninstall, but the folder is in the
hidden partition.

I tryed to re-install Windows and it says it can't find
user partition with necessary files.

I went as far as I could with the little I know. Now I'm
asking your help.

Sincerilly,
Ed

"Ed" <egueiros@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi folks, I tryed to install a program called MagicBoot,
> it's a Boot Manager program. Well, it worked but then I
> decided to unistall it. My problems stated here. First a
> menssage saying it didn't find the uninstall file, so it
> couldn't go on, but the folder was not there anymore.
> Second, I have one hard drive with 2 partitions, 1st has
> the system files, recovery files, things like that and de
> 2nd partition is the everyday-use partition. Well,
> whatever that program did it made my 1st partition
> disapear, I mean, it's there but it's hidden and there's
> no drive letter assigned to it therefore I can't see it
> in Windows Explorer like I used to. Actually the only
> place I still can see it is through "Computer Manegement
> > Storage > Disk Management". Still with no drive letter
> and when I give it a right-mouse-click the only option
> are "Delete Partition and Help".
> ...(snipped)...

Yeah, that's kind of a problem with BootMagic. It's not a quality boot
manager. It sounds like you've got a couple issues going here -- first: how
to get the partitions back to what they were, and second: how to eliminate
the vestiges of BootMagic.

As for the partitions, it's not clear from your msg what they are supposed
to look like (e.g., whether both partitions are *supposed* to visible, and
which are the boot and system partitions, if different). If it's just a
matter of unhiding the first partition, you can use Partition Magic to do
that (did you make the PM "rescue" floppies so you can use them in
emergencies like this?)

BootMagic normally consists of two pieces -- replacement code in the MBR,
and the \BTMAGIC.PQ directory on whatever drive you installed it on. To fix
the MBR, boot from your XP CD to the recovery console and execute the
command "fixmbr". Then drag the \BTMAGIC.PQ folder to the recycle bin.