USB no longer reads

lb77

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
hi

my pc has usb ports at the back and 1 at the front, my usb port at the front of the pc no longer reads it still powers up but wont acknowledge a device. (i know this because my card reader light comes on but will not show cards slots as drive g,h etc..) when i plug the card reader in usb port at back it recognise it and same with my memory stick)

this problem started when i plugged in my usb convertor so i can use playstation joypad to play snes emulator. i have used this many times and never had problem.

but the other day when i plugged this in i got message "new device etc... not installed correctly)

since then the usb port has not been working properly (yet it can still power a device)

i looked in device manager under USB bus controller no problem there.

i did alittle research and turned off pc and unplugged power and this still has not fixed my problem.

any suggestions?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Probably best to delete all USB drivers, then let the system re-install them.

1. Disconnect all devices plugged into the USB ports everywhere. Disconnect any USB hubs, too. Go into Device Manager and Remove all the USB devices you see there.

2. Shut down and reboot. The system should detect the "new" devices known as USB ports and install drivers for them as necessary.

3. If you have an external USB hub, connect it. The system should detect that and install any driver it needs.

4. One by one, connect back your USB devices. Each one should trigger the installation of the driver it requires. By the time you're done, it should all be working again.

5. Leave the converter / gamepad system to the last. Plug it in and see whether it can install itself and drivers cleanly this time.

lb77

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but how do i remove the drivers in device manager?

when you say remove usb devices i see there what do you mean?

do i right click on usb root hub and install?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In Device Manager expand the list of USB devices. Then you can RIGHT-click any of them and choose Uninstall.

You might try Uninstalling only the external USB devices like HDD's, etc, and the USB hub if you have one. Leave the internal USB devices that are part of your mobo alone for now. See if re-installing only the externally-connected devices solves your problem.