Overclocking Help!!!

monten

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hi everyone, I need some help with my overclocking experience.
So the main components are: Intel e8200 CPU, ASUS P5N-T Deluxe Motherboard, 2xMushkin HP2-8500 Ram, Antec True Power Trio 650W Power Supply, 2xGTS250.
I easily achieved a 20% overclock from 333 FSB to 400, that means the CPU from 2.66Ghz to 3.2Ghz with quite low voltage values. And whats more annoying is that the bios has an auto overclock function that takes it to a 20% overclock but I heard this will raise the voltage unnecessarily high.
So I just wanted to go further with it, I read some reviews that the CPU is able of 3.6-3.8 Ghz and the board of 420 FSB so I tried to hit 3.3Ghz. I raised the Vcore to 1.36 the recommended by Intel. I booted into Windows 7 and did a stress test with OCCT utility for an hour, and the test finished without errors, then I played GTA 4 for a few minutes and the game crashed.
I tried upping up all voltages instead of vcore because I knew is more than enough for 3.3Ghz, the vtt up to 1.35v, pci-e to 1.25, ht voltage ( the voltage between NB and SB or something like that to 1.28v), NB to 1.4v SB to 1.6v and played allot with the GLTVREF. Nothing helped, and whats weird is that at some FSB frequencies, upping some voltages made the board not post at all.
So upping this voltages didn't helped same crashes in game. And I mean every game I have in the PC. I tried lowering the FSB, but that didn't helped either. I got it stable at 402FSB, That's a 16 mhz increase.
I don't know really what to blame, are the other frequencies the reason for this ? Like SPP-MCP frequency, that's the frequency between NB and SB, or the PCI-e frequency or LTD frequency ? Does all this need to be changed for my overclock to be stable ? Or all that other CPU Functions stay in the way ? I only have enabled CPU thermal control, Execute Disable bit, and Intel SpeedStep, or maybe the PSU can't deliver those voltages. Please help me out!!!

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Hello there,

Your changing a lot of settings that you probably should just leave alone.

Read this guide and see if it helps you. It may seem time consuming but think of all the time your spending and not getting any results.

Google anything you do not understand and if you still are having problems come on back with your new knowledge. It is much easier to help some one who knows what those terms mean.

Good luck and happy OC'n.:)

DolphTX

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

Just because some reviews have mentioned that your CPU is capable of 3.6-3.8 GHz, doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of your components are capable of running at those speeds. When you start overclocking your CPU and changing voltages, it also affects things such as your RAM and PCI bus. Are you running in SLI x2 or x3 mode? Changing your FSB and RAM will affect your GPUs as well. What video cards are you running? Also, what are you RAM timeings set to?

I have the same CPU as you and found that my most stable overclock is at 3.00 GHz. I'm running in SLI x2 mode with 2 EVGA Nvidia 9500GT that are extremly overclocked. I found that this provides better performance when running 3d games without even so much as a hiccup :)

I hope this helped.

-Dolph

Your motherboard uses an nVidia 780i chipset. This is a slightly modified (to be compatible with the Yorkfield CPU's) 680i chipset. It overclocks differently than the Gigabyte or Asus P45 boards.

First, read the generic guide that arthurh linked to. Then look for a guide for your specific motherboard.

There are three really important speed settings. First, the CPU FSB. Notice that I didn't say "frequency" or "clock". nVidia BIOS' seems to tie CPU speed to the FSB clock. It will report FSB frequency based on clock, but you won't be able to change the frequency. Well, because you have been able to change the CPU speed, you know this. :)

Second: you have an overall memory control setting. This has three settings: Auto (default), Linked, and Unlinked. Linked directly sets the memory clock to twice the FSB. With the Unlinked setting, you can set the memory clock to whatever you like. Selecting Linked or Unlinked enables the third item.

Third: the memory speed. This is based on the memory clock which in the case of a Core2 system running DDR2 RAM, is twice the FSB frequency.

My recommendation is to set the BIOS to stock settings, set memory voltage to factory recommendations, and set the memory to Unlinked. (My eVGA 680i board was a little more stable with memory set to Unlinked and memory clock set manually to twice the FSB frequency than running Linked.) The drawback is that you will need to readjust the memory speed each time you change the CPU speed.

Now you can start the whole "increase FSB, test, increase voltage" cycle. Keep your CPU voltage under 1.45 volts and CPU load temps under 70 C.