G.SKILL and X58 chipset

Reforger

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hi, :hello:

I recently bought Gigabyte EX58-UD4 (and i7 920), and I already have dual channell G.SKILL DDR3 4GB kit (2x2)
- Spec here:
http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/vie...n&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=39

So I would like to know will be any problems running that kit on X58 chipset and that proc.
As i7 need RAM voltage at 1.5V to max 1.65V and test voltage stated on spec are 1.5~1.6 Volts I gues that this should be OK
but I don't see that kit has been tested/supported for X58 chipset.

Should I spent some more money on for example triple channel 1x3 kit - X58 tested or insert this memory?
What can I expect regarding chipset behaviour ( and I'm mostly concerned about possible voltage deviations)?
And last, what difference would be if switched to 3x1GB triple channel regarding perfomance?

Thank you,
Reforger.

Fuster33

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hi Reforger, I'm not entirely familiar with your memory, but I think for your platform to work properly, you'll need at least three memory sticks for it to work properly. The core i7 platform is triple channel after all, while yours is dual channel. In any case, if your RAM can't work with the mobo, your computer will fail to POST anyway.

Yes, triple memory.

Don't worry about the voltages. What you need is simply DDR3 RAM.

You need a third stick which is identical or as close to the sticks you already have and install 3x2GB.

I'm not sure if the X58 allows for two sticks only. I suspect it does but at diminished performance. Your motherboard manual will tell you.

Reforger

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Thank you all for your replies.

I have checked Mobo manual and it supports both dual/3 channel setup so I have installed those two sticks and it work fine so far.

CPU-Z shows that sticks work in dual mode and voltages are just like Intel wants it :)

slot #3 is the same as the slot shown...
cpuzf.jpg

So can we conlude that this work fine but I should change to 3 channel for performance reasons and close thread as solved?

Tnx again,
Reforger