New pc i7 component & setup help plz.

jason73

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Hi
Need to upgrade and hope this new pc will last me a few years, the pc will be used for high end gaming, downloading music & films, and work, I have money but Im not bill gates so even I have limits, I have built a pc before but had lots of problems with drivers so this time Im gona ask you experts on what to do, so far Im looking at the rig below. > None of these items have been bought yet <

1. Mobo. ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME, Intel X58 chipset LGA 1366 Core i7.

2. Cpu. Intel Core i7 940 2.93 Ghz.

3. storage. 3x OCZ Vertex series 60GB/ 200MBs read/170 write,
^^^^^^^will use these for boot up & small storage^^^^^^^

4. Also 1 Samsung spinpoint F1, 1TB, 1000GB
^^^ intend to use this for mass storage^^^

5. 6X2GB (12GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3 i7 1600Mhz.

So I need help on which graphics card to have 1 or 2 in sli ?.
which power supply, brand, wattage, ect.
And whats the best raid to set the OCZ Vertex ssd in 0 ? 5 ?.

Wish there was a site where you could type a rig and it would tell you the step by step the best way to set it up.
From my old pc I have 2 Asus 8800gtx 768mb graphics cards & 2 WD Raptor drives 150GB, would you guys use any of these on the new rig ?.

The two 8800GTX cards can still handle current games all right. Whatever PSU you used for them can still be reused. The Raptor drives will be slower than the F1 when dealing with large files, so they're not much good any more. Still, why not reuse them anyway. Keep movies on the F1 because they're mostly 1GB files, and keep small mp3 and photos and other small files on the Raptors.

coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
looks good so far m8, as for the graphics cards runing the 8800gtx's in sli would give good results however they are old tecknology. Have you looked at the new gtx 295, the best card on the market or you could look at the gtx 260 in sli or the ati equivelent 4870's.

it is best to decide weather you are going to have multiple graphics cards or a single card before you chose your power supply. i will recomend going with a well known brand such as corsiar or pc power and cooling.

Are you planning on overclocking?
if so you will need an after market cpu cooler.

if so you will need a after market cpu cooler.

What resolotion are you going to be gaming at?
dont forget you will need 64 bit to utilize all that RAM

coleman

jason73

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I will not be overclocking this rig, I dont think I will need to its plenty powerfull enough, and yes I have been and got windows vista ultimate 64 bit ready to use for my new rig. thx for the help so far guys I will keep checking back.