Xp does detect my usb mouse but not usb keyboard?

Solution
Maybe your USB drivers need to be updated . It should just be plug and play the drivers for a USB keyboard are included in WindowsXP . If the keyboard came with a CD install the software for it ? You also can try the System File Checker > start run type "sfc /scannow" without quotation marks and note the space between the c / mak sure you type it exactly that way . You will be prompted to put the WindowsXP installation CD in eithe your retail or OEM version should be fine. If you have auto play enabled on your CD/DDVD drive just keep tapping the shift key untill the light on the drive CD drive stops blinking from it trrying to access the CD . Once that stops continue the System File Checker utility ...

NicRic

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Maybe your USB drivers need to be updated . It should just be plug and play the drivers for a USB keyboard are included in WindowsXP . If the keyboard came with a CD install the software for it ? You also can try the System File Checker > start run type "sfc /scannow" without quotation marks and note the space between the c / mak sure you type it exactly that way . You will be prompted to put the WindowsXP installation CD in eithe your retail or OEM version should be fine. If you have auto play enabled on your CD/DDVD drive just keep tapping the shift key untill the light on the drive CD drive stops blinking from it trrying to access the CD . Once that stops continue the System File Checker utility !
Good Luck ,Nick
Always set a restore point before you perform any action that may alter your file system ,System File Checker scans your system replacing any missing system files !

Solution

ozanuyan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Swap slots. Put your mouse into the current USB port of your keyboard and see if your mouse works. If it doesn't then that USB port isn't working (there may be a lot of different reasons for that). If your mouse works then XP is really not seeing your keyboard or your keyboard's cable has a problem. Check the cable and see if there is any damage or dents on the cable. If the cable is fine then I really don't know what you should do next as I don't have a computer with XP installed with me right now.

frankey5

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Thank you for your time Nick. Keyboard had a CD and after installation problem was solved.