Seagate vs Western Digital

jrszabo

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Hello, I'm thinking about upgrading the HDD in my laptop, I have always been a WD users, but now because my finances I'm shopping around more. I'm interested in Seagate as well as WD for this upgrade.

Solution
Seagate's more recent drives have been of somewhat questionable quality, just enough for me to be skeptical. WD makes awesome drives, imo, and Samsung and Hitachi drives are quite good as well.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Seagate's more recent drives have been of somewhat questionable quality, just enough for me to be skeptical. WD makes awesome drives, imo, and Samsung and Hitachi drives are quite good as well.

Solution

jrszabo

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Well I contacted DeLL today just to what kind HDDs they sell for an upgrade to my DeLL laptop and there all WD as follows:

Western Digital 320GB SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive 8MB 5400RPM 2.5IN Scorpio Blue (Part # a2436199) = $64.99

Western Digital 500GB SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive 8MB 5400RPM 2.5IN Scorpio Blue (Part# a2387325) = $54.99

Western Digital 250GB SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive 8MB 5400RPM 2.5IN Scorpio Blue (Part# a2387324) = $45.99

I found it odd that the 320GB was more expensive then the 500GB, but I was told that the larger drive were older and that why their cheaper!

Now with this DeLL info I'm price shopping at other venders

jrszabo

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006

Do you think that the DeLL prices which I posted are all that outlandish ?

jrszabo

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006

Do you think that the DeLL prices which I posted are all that outlandish ?

Ken Camo

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
I am a computer Technician, seeing bad hard drives every day. and I can tell you for sure that seagate drives are much more reliable than WD drives. Maybe it has something to do with more PC Companies use WD drives? All I know is that 8 out of 10 dead/failing drive i run into are WD... When I test the drive and it fails I say to everyone "Watch this will be a WD" and sure enough usually always is!
Not to mention, on a drive that I purchased 2 TB WD External (black friday deal 3 years ago for $80 bux, a deal too good to pass up! Still considered a good deal even 3 years later!) but that drive died about 10 months after purchase, luckily i was under warranty they sent me a brand new 2TB drive (updated model with USB 3.0 support). and so far no issues (knock on wood). except for the fact that i only have 100 gb left :( lol.

But if i were looking for reliability i would go with the Seagate, and the 5 yr warranty is an added bonus!
now dont get me wrong , i have seen seagates fail many times. just not nearly as much as WD Drives. even 15 years ago when i got my Packard Bell (133mhz pentium, with a 2 GB Seagate) worked beautifully for a few years, but then i wanted to upgrade. so i bought the biggest drive on the market a WD 8.4 GB for over $200!!! (i believe in '98). but even then that 8.4 didnt last very long, i wound up putting the 2gb back in the Packard Bell and it is still in there. Its in storage, obviously not used anymore.