editing config.sys

How do I edit config.sys in Win XP? I need to change my
Files= and Buffers=, but when I run sys.edit, it won't
allow me to save the changes in config.sys. Any advise?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

XP use CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT - look for and edit as required.

"Joe Novak" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I edit config.sys in Win XP? I need to change my
> Files= and Buffers=, but when I run sys.edit, it won't
> allow me to save the changes in config.sys. Any advise?

Greetings --

You can edit C:\Config.sys using NotePad, if you like, but there's
very little point in doing so.

WinXP doesn't use either AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS. The empty
files are present merely to provide some backwards compatibility with
some legacy applications.

To set environmental variables, Right-Click My Computer >
Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables > System Variables/New
(or Edit, as applicable). You can also add the appropriate line(s) to
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt and/or C:\Windows\System32\Config.nt.
To run programs on login, create a shortcut to the desired application
and place it in the pertinent Startup folder(s).

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Joe Novak" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I edit config.sys in Win XP? I need to change my
> Files= and Buffers=, but when I run sys.edit, it won't
> allow me to save the changes in config.sys. Any advise?

Thanks Bruce, that was alot of help!

count on