Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2591/combi.jpg

Maximus II Formula
Intel Q9300
Corsair 2Gb 800
Ati Radeon HD 4850 GPU
Zalman cpu Cooler

Im really bothered that one of my CPU core reaching 67'C in Idle load and 69"C when in running games, the rest 3Cores are just fine. Im planning to OverClock my CPU up to 3Ghz only but its makes me think twice about the Temperature readings. I already clear the dust and reseated my cpu Cooler applying the right amount of thermal paste but same as before.
Is there there any thing i can do about this..? and about Overclocking, I'm a bit worried to try to overclock the Cpu...

Solution
67 C is much too high for idle temps. Make sure your cooler is properly installed. If one core is a lot higher than the others, check the cooler on all four corners.

Do not try to overclock until you get your idle temps under control.
67 C is much too high for idle temps. Make sure your cooler is properly installed. If one core is a lot higher than the others, check the cooler on all four corners.

Do not try to overclock until you get your idle temps under control.

Solution

bactrian

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

Perhaps the thermal paste hasn't spread well enough over the very hot core. I don't know what quality thermal paste the zalman comes with but some pastes don't spread very well. How did you apply the paste? Spread it yourself of just put a blob in the middle and let the cooler pressure do the job? I used a blob myself with a Noctua cooler and all my cores have temperatures that are very close together.

bactrian

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

I wanted to go the water cooling way myself, but because it was above my budget, I bought a Noctua NH-D14 for 65 euro's. I overclocked my Q6600 to 3.2 Ghz and my temps never go higher than 52 degrees (that is the temp of my hottest core) during Prime95 Blend test. I was pleased with the results. It's much cheaper than a good watercooling setup and it's almost noiseless.