Sign in with
Your question

Conflict with crt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2009 7:38:34 AM

I hope I got this in the right place ,I am new here,ok! I have a dell 8250 desktop I purchased used,when I seen it working ,it was on a flat screen LCD monitor,I bought it home and hooked it to my older Avitron monitor,and turned it on ,it started making a clicking noise from the cd rom,I managed to get it in safe mode and went in and found that the resolution was at 800x600, so I adjusted it to 1024x768,it would not change,but went right back to 800x600,I am thinking there is a conflict with something else,can someone tell me where to look? It has winxp home,128meg video card,512 ram ,40Gig hard drive.Thank everyone in advance,I know just enought about computers to know it has to be a conflict,but have no idea where to look and see. Thanks.....Ken

More about : conflict crt

February 20, 2009 5:01:52 PM

sounds like you need to figure out what kind of video card it is, then download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Its likely an ATI or Nvidia. You may have to pull the card to know for sure whats in there. look for a model number then google it.
February 20, 2009 8:38:59 PM

Thank you DiscoDuck I will try that,thanks again for the reply....Ken
Related resources
February 21, 2009 11:36:20 AM

kenjmor2006 said:
I hope I got this in the right place ,I am new here,ok! I have a dell 8250 desktop I purchased used,when I seen it working ,it was on a flat screen LCD monitor,I bought it home and hooked it to my older Avitron monitor,and turned it on ,it started making a clicking noise from the cd rom,I managed to get it in safe mode and went in and found that the resolution was at 800x600, so I adjusted it to 1024x768,it would not change,but went right back to 800x600,I am thinking there is a conflict with something else,can someone tell me where to look? It has winxp home,128meg video card,512 ram ,40Gig hard drive.Thank everyone in advance,I know just enought about computers to know it has to be a conflict,but have no idea where to look and see. Thanks.....Ken

If you are still in safe mode, then your stuck at 800x600. Safe mode only loads the enough device drivers to get to the desktop, which does not include normal video drivers. You will not even have network capability unless you specify "Safe Mode with Networking" from the boot menu.
February 21, 2009 9:11:39 PM

blackened144 said:
If you are still in safe mode, then your stuck at 800x600. Safe mode only loads the enough device drivers to get to the desktop, which does not include normal video drivers. You will not even have network capability unless you specify "Safe Mode with Networking" from the boot menu.

Hello I want to thank you fro your responce,Do you mean I cannot change resolutions in safe mode? This is driving me nuts,it worked when I bought it,the man had it on a flat screen panel. Thanks.....Ken
!