Occasional Start-Up/Boot Issues

bdyer02

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I recently assembled a new computer, first time I've done this in a few years. I'm having some isssues surrounding the start-up/boot. When I turn the computer on after it has been shut down, sometime, but not always, the system will hang at the “Verifying DMI Pool Data” point.

I've also gotten beyond that point and still had issues. Twice, when I was having issues, I got a screen saying that Windows did not start correctly, and recommending that I do a system repair. The first time I did the system repair, and it came to an error it could not fix, and had me report it. It booted up fine after that.

The other time, the screen said the error was in windows\system32\drivers\wdf010000.sys and that the status was 0xc000022, and Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt. Upon running the repair from the Vista installation DVD, the system repair said there was nothing wrong.

And one time, which was truly unusual, upon pushing the power button, the screen displayed a bunch of red and black lines, which flashed for a while before becoming a bunch of random colors and letters.

The very first time I powered the computer up after installing Windows Vista 64, the computer hung at the Verifying DMI Pool Data point, but I didn't think anything of it at the time.

I've tried a System Restore to an earlier point, System Repair through the Installation menu, flashing the BIOS using Gigabyte's @BIOS program, and clearing the CMOS by shorting the jumper.

Thus far, the booting/start-up problems only occur when I start the computer up after it has been shut down for a while; when I do a “Restart” from Windows, I have not had any boot/start-up problems.

I am truly at a loss , and am hoping that you all might be able to help me diagnose my issues. Thank you all for your time and assistance. Below are my system specs. If any more information would be helpful, please let me know. Again, thank you all for your help.

Operating System: Windows Vista 64 SP1
CPU: Intel E8500, 3.16 ghz
MB: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, BIOS version F5
RAM: 4 GB GSKILL (2x2), 5-5-5-15, (the BIOS has the voltage at 1.8, the box says 2.0-2.1, does that matter?)
GPU: EVGA GFX 260 55nm SSC
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

YES, that absolutely matters! You need to manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS if you want your RAM to work correctly.

bdyer02

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
My PSU is a Corsair 650tx. I took the computer to a repair shop, they tested everything and said that it was an issue with the MB. I RMAed the MB to Gigabyte, now just waiting to see what happens with that. This has been such an incredible hassle.

bdyer02

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, I did. That didn't solve the problem either. I also flashed the BIOS using the QFlash after I learned that @Bios doesn't always work.