Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2009 3:15:10 PM

Hi,

I have an 8800GT and a Pentium D 940 @ 3.2Ghz but my current motherboard
support Core 2 processors. As I will eventually want to upgrade to a cpu
which doesn't so substantially bottleneck the 8800 I intend to upgrade to
a nForce 630i with some 800Mhz RAM rather than my current 533Mhz. I have 2
questions:

1. Why is the 630i so cheap? (i.e. what's wrong with it?)

2. Is there any other sequence of upgrades for a similar price (max £100) that will
either directly improve performance or allow future Core 2 compatibility?

Any component or bundle suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

R_N

More about : mobo pentium 2ghz 8800gt

a c 508 V Motherboard
June 21, 2009 3:43:42 PM

Quote:
I have an 8800GT and a Pentium D 940 @ 3.2Ghz but my current motherboard
support Core 2 processors.
What motherboard do you have and why are you looking for a Core 2 compatible motherboard if you already have one?

Quote:
Why is the 630i so cheap?
Because it's a low-end chipset and motherboards based on it are limited to 2 memory slots. The main benefits are on-board video and low cost. I just don't see how that chipset will provide a performance improvement.
a c 80 V Motherboard
June 21, 2009 3:43:54 PM

There are literally a ton of good boards out there, and I am sure someone will jump and give you suggestions. I am going to be short with my first suggestion though, start out by NOT looking at anything with an nVidia chipset.

And, actually your 8800GT is a pretty good match for that Pentium D.
Upgrading processors won't do a whole lot for it, it is a fairly low-end gaming card by todays standards.

I would suggest, at your budget, looking at some of the Phenom II platforms.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
This one for instance would allow you to reuse your current DDR2 memory, and upgrade later, and later on a better GPU. Very nice bang for your buck with something like this. It's a black series processor, which means the multiplier is unlocked and very easily allow you to dial it up to 3 or 3.2 ghz with little problem.
Would be like night and day over your Pentium D.
Related resources
June 21, 2009 3:55:49 PM

I currently have an ASUS Emery 1.05 mobo (according to CPUID) which I am pretty sure won't support much above a Pentium D. Max ram frequency is 667Mhz. The Phenom still looks a bit expensive. I like the idea of eventualy having an E5200 or similar (quite cheap and better that many C2Ds). I am unfortunately a little afraid of overclocking. Thanks for any further suggestions.

R_N
June 21, 2009 4:16:29 PM

Sorry to double post but I want to 'rephrase'/completely change the question:

I know it's a big ask but can you suggest any decent and cheap 775 socket motherboards that support both Pentium D and Core 2

I only ask because with the huge increase in GPU power recently I may eventually want a GPU with "GTX" in its name.

Thanks again