Deleting start-up programs?

I've got a few old programs that automatically load on
start up and run in the background. 11 icons are
displayed in the tool bar at the lower right corner of my
screen and at least 4 or 5 of them are unnecessary. In
Win98 there was a way to open a list and delete the
unnecessary ones. Can this be done with XP?

I think start-up takes a long time because its loading
all this junk that I don't use and I'm sure its eating up
operating resources too.

Wendy, go to Start>Run type: msconfig Select Startup and uncheck the
programs you don't want .