houdinii

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
i see a lot of tests showing the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B being only a few degrees off from the noctua now are these tests done with fans on the megahalems??

and if now with fans would that make the megahalems better than the d14?

Yes every test i've seen includes a reference fan of some sort on the Megahalems 99% of the time it's a Scythe fan.
The Megahalems is everybit as good as the Noctua.
Keep in mind the Noctua is huge so it's not ideal for alot of set-ups where space is a problem.
I wouldn't say either one is better then the other and for that matter you could throw in the Venomous X.
Any top end cooler test i've seen pretty much has those 3 neck in neck.
The deciding factor is case size and ram height compatability.
You have to make sure it will fit with your gear.
Not to mention the fact Prolimatech has the new Super Mega and Thermalright also has new coolers and more to come.

cchase33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I just bought the Venomous X after quite a bit of research. Main reasons: it is pretty much the same as the Megahalems, and I'm not looking to break any records, just get a really solid HSF. The Venomous X is lighter, smaller, and you need to buy fans for both of them. I bought the Scythe S-Flex "G" model ( G designates 1900 rpm). I just bought one for now, but you can do two in a push-pull configuration. I went to Koolertek, and found a promo code "HF5OFF" for 5% off entire purchase and this setup was way cheaper than anywhere else (they were also having a sale on the Scythe fans) if you want to check it out. I also bought the Noctua NH-T1 thermal compound because that was the best stuff they had available, but I'm pretty sure the IC Diamond 7 carat is the best you can get within reason.